I need a second ( and a third, and a fourth... ) opinion

Jerry, final opinion, buy it, get it, dont go on any guilt trip. This is a must before you retire. When you do retire its over and the closest
affordable machine you will afford, will be a picture. So you better use your 3yrs left wisely cause most think of retirement as to fishin poles
boats and golf clubs. You will see, no more paid vac. holidays sick days, pay raises, while taxes fuel insurance goes up up up but your
retirement check stays the same. I'm not whinning but 25yrs in navy blues, sgt stripes, carring a gun take home $700 a week (take home)
45 doller an hour details; plus machining in my fathers shop, waiting for the golden day. Good thing all my fathers shop & machines I kept
up. My pre municiple days is a S.S. check thats good to buy cat food with. My retirement check a month is what I use to take home a week.
So you or anyone not having real estate- play stock market games. You all had better put your seatbelts on. My recap is, when I retired It
was ok, but then, I was'nt thinking about where we are going 15yrs later like 4 dollar a gallon junk fuel, taxes sucked me dry. Even my
chief went riches to rags and is mowing lawns now. Im just trying to advise: NOT whine, or maybe its just here in Taxachusetts.
So good luck someday your going to bless your machines for an income. I know I do.
sincerely samuel

Last edited:
Jerry, final opinion, buy it, get it, dont go on any guilt trip. This is a must before you retire. When you do retire its over and the closest
affordable machine you will afford, will be a picture. So you better use your 3yrs left wisely cause most think of retirement as to fishin poles
boats and golf clubs. You will see, no more paid vac. holidays sick days, pay raises, while taxes fuel insurance goes up up up but your
retirement check stays the same. I'm not whinning but 25yrs in navy blues, sgt stripes, carring a gun take home $700 a week (take home)
45 doller an hour details; plus machining in my fathers shop, waiting for the golden day. Good thing all my fathers shop & machines I kept
up. My pre municiple days is a S.S. check thats good to buy cat food with. My retirement check a month is what I use to take home a week.
So you or anyone not having real estate- play stock market games. You all had better put your seatbelts on. My recap is, when I retired It
was ok, but then, I was'nt thinking about where we are going 15yrs later like 4 dollar a gallon junk fuel, taxes sucked me dry. Even my
chief went riches to rags and is mowing lawns now. Im just trying to advise: NOT whine, or maybe its just here in Taxachusetts.
So good luck someday your going to bless your machines for an income. I know I do.
sincerely samuel

Much appreciated. And it's already too late for second guessing. These latest photos are of them in my garage. I've got'em! Plus a bonus- a drilling machine / drill press the likes of which I've never seen, huge, massive, complicated and fascinatingly old ( how old I have no idea) but for an additional $150 I was just constitutionally incapable of saying "no, thanks, I don't need it".....

Jerry

Last edited:
Jerry trust me, let em pay the bills and we aint talking about age they work they pay the bills. 1918's still payin bills. Its not the
machine its the operator. best I can say ;; or come here I'll show ya.............................................................................

Nice haul!
Give em a good home and some oil and they'll work great and not eat much!
Leblonds ared very nice lathes and the 19" is alot of lathe. The bridgy is a workhorse mill, even wore out those 2 will still do alot. grats and welcome to the forum

Re: Early Christmas! was (Re: I need a second ( and a third, and a fourth... ) opinion)

I would like to see this cutting 2.5 inch threads.
must move fast!

View attachment 65638

Last edited:
I finally got around to looking up the Bridgeport serial number of the base mill, not the head and the serial would indicate it was made late in 1962.

I'm still going over my "Christmas haul"

For the LeBlond I should have said it came with a quick change tool post and about 8 tool holders, both 3 and 4 jaw chucks ( although I have no idea at the moment how I'll lift them ) tail stock chuck, steady rest( and possibly follower rest) for certain, taper attachment, carriage travel stop and more cutting bits, tools than I can count. For the mill there's the indexing table, a rotary table, collets and endmills aplenty.

For the drill press which I have yet to get, there's ginormous taper shank drills and I saw a chuck somewhere. There are still several pallets and a 5 gallon pail I must sort through.

The problem which gets in my way is that the stuff isn't where I live every day ( but where I hope to retire ) and it's been freezing there daily making life at that place unpleasant to handle that much steel....Much of this is still shrink wrapped on pallets and I've not had the chance to go through it all. I've spent my time cleaning and oiling to prevent or reverse any rust when I'm up there but I just can't stay in the garage long. I haven't a functional heater up there that will work fast enough to make my time there more pleasant.... :-( I'm just happy to have it. I hope to start at least planning my shop building this summer. I want to discuss with contractors the logistics of getting it done - this seems like a subject for another thread.

Jerry

When I need to work out in the cold, driveway, shed, etc. I go and grab my propane forced air heater like this one:

1016738?$prod_det$.jpg
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/searchterm/propane heaters

They come in different btu ratings. This one comes in 125,000 BTUs and it's smaller brother is 60,000 BTU. Depending on the size of area that you're in these little hummers will heat it up very quickly. All that is needed is a 120v AC supply and a bottle of propane. Here's a chart that gives you some idea of which "size" is right for you. - http://www.reddyheaters.net/

Glad to hear your at least getting some time with your new toys,

-Ron

1016738?$prod_det$.jpg

I have other questions. Please be kind! Remember I've never had machines the size of these so I'm not sure what
is correct or not.

Two things that came with this lot of machines are three rotary indexing fixtures. The first is close in size to what I am used to; I'm ok with that one. It's very similar to one I had previously just substantially beefier but still manageable.

The second and third, particularly the third are really outsized. The second I can manhandle and just about lift ( but I won't chance it. The third? there's no way I can even budge it.

My question is are these two, again especially the third really suitable for use on a Bridgeport??? The third jut seems so big.
I'll have to resort to a engine hoist to lift it ( oddly the lot of goodies actually included an electric hoist! ).

The first photo shows the second indexing fixture, the second the ginormous indexing table that I can't budge...

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Jerry

IMG_0210.JPGIMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0217.JPG

I have other questions. Please be kind! Remember I've never had machines the size of these so I'm not sure what
is correct or not.

Two things that came with this lot of machines are three rotary indexing fixtures. The first is close in size to what I am used to; I'm ok with that one. It's very similar to one I had previously just substantially beefier but still manageable.

The second and third, particularly the third are really outsized. The second I can manhandle and just about lift ( but I won't chance it. The third? there's no way I can even budge it.

My question is are these two, again especially the third really suitable for use on a Bridgeport??? The third jut seems so big.
I'll have to resort to a engine hoist to lift it ( oddly the lot of goodies actually included an electric hoist! ).

The first photo shows the second indexing fixture, the second the ginormous indexing table that I can't budge...

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Jerry

View attachment 66806View attachment 66807

I probably should have led with this - my concern is the weight of these indexing fixtures a factor? Will they
strain the Bridigeport mill and contribute to excess wear?

Jerry

Two things that came with this lot of machines are three rotary indexing fixtures......

Well that statement made a lot of sense didn't it?

S/B ".... questionable items that came with this lot of machines are two of the three rotary indexing fixtures which are very large and heavy..... "

Back