I have a space problem, lathe related, New ACRA 1440 TVS

13-40080 Handle wheel guard 1 OPT.
1664912954487.png

I found that looking it up from your post. I'm going to wait to see my lathe, and figure out mounting options, like where there are holes already. Thank you for getting on track with that.

There are two mounting holes for the hand chip guard, it is really needed when cutting big hot chips that land on your hand when feeding the carriage. I ended up making a chip shield out of 1/4" polycarbonate that I carefully warmed it up and bent. There are a number of YouTube posting on hot wire benders, etc. but it can be tricky. I just didn't want to pay $200 for the factory one. Might be worth checking if it comes with it and/or is available.

The taper adapter is expensive almost never used, so unless you have a need for long tapers I would leave that off the shopping list. It is also a bear to install, I did one for a gentleman that bought the 1640 version of this lathe. I think the piggy bank is going to be pretty well drained after this purchase.

Chip Shield Lathe.jpg

Yeah My piggy bank needs a rest, it's all paid for, I'll get the use, she'll get the resale value. My tapers are with the compound for now.

Yeah. Taper attachment is like $1600!

Well, I know some time in the future I will probably have room for a 1640 lathe, and no matter how much I measure I cannot fit 109" length right now. The 1440 is going to be on the high 80" to low 90" length, I have a welding table, 3 X tool boxes, a 250 DX Syncrowave TIG machine, a 211 MIG welder, and a Sterling drill grinder. All in a 10' x 20' work space that is pretty tight, plus I have to worry about swarf trajectory, and through bore access. I guess I should be grateful for what I can do/fit now, and live with it, it's just the finances probably won't be there in the future to upgrade. Thanks for looking....

The machines arrived at ACRA machine the Acu-Rite 203 DRO, micro carriage stop, and taper attachment are on, now to finish wrapping, and boxing for shipment. I thought I posted these pictures, but I guess not here.

Oh wow! That looks amazing!!!

And you got it with all the goodies! Sweet.

Back