I have a space problem, lathe related, New ACRA 1440 TVS

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm going to sell my 1340GT, and I'm looking at the ACRA 1440CVS, same as the 1440C, but with a VFD installed. or the 1440TVS. The TVS is a bigger heavier more robust machine, than the CVS. I can fit the CVS with a little reorganizing, but the TVS is 6" longer, and I still have to make room to remove the end cover for maintenance. I would have to encroach both front, and back pathways in my garage, relocate my electrical drop boxes, and make the drawers on the tailstock side unable to open fully. As much as I want the bigger machine writing this all out has kind help me make up my mind to get the CVS. What would you do? The CVS is 83", and the TVS is 89".

This is a no-brainer. Knock out a wall and make the garage a foot and a half larger. Then you can get the TVS and have room for a larger lathe in two or three years when you decide it's not big enough either.

(Can't believe you didn't think of this.)

Part of the relocation would interfere with what little territory my wife still has in the garage. I would not have a problem squeezing it in, but it would look like a hoarders maze getting from the laundry room(garage) door to the closet doors on the far wall for her gardening supplies. I'm not sure if I'm being thoughtful, or scared. :)

The bigger the lathe, the more important it is to be able to walk (or at least side step) all the way around all four sides of the machine. My manual said 2 feet off the wall, which I scoffed at until I had to pull my cross slide. You can bet it doesn't come free from the front! Plus reaching the motor all around (belt change maybe?) and the tail side plinth access for maintaining and replenishing of the flood system. Want to slide your tail stock off? Better leave a good 16-24" for that. Where is the electrical panel access? Mine's in the back, because the front of the lathe is occupied with levers and controls.

It's my opinion that git-er-done size lathes start at 14". It's going to have more in common with a 20-incher than it will with your 13" glorified hobby lathe. Everything will be bigger, heavier, and positioned in a more commercial-friendly configuration, and that counts on commercial installation where the machine isn't shoved tight into a corner like a hobbyist's.

I'd like to see you get the TVS version, but you've got to be realistic about the shop space you can dedicate to the machine. You won't want to move it to run a gearbox drain line or some such triviality.

Build her an outdoor shed with power and water for all her gardening tools. You'll probably get the husband-of-the-year award AND you'll have room for your lathe.

(This is so easy.)

Build her an outdoor shed with power and water for all her gardening tools. You'll probably get the husband-of-the-year award AND you'll have room for your lathe.

(This is so easy.)
I can tell by the frowny icon that you've been doing it wrong, Aukai. Terry should win some sort of award for this post, it's part of the key to happiness.

This is where I have my power center, the 5hp RPC is bolted to the floor directly under this. It would have to move 6-9" right. My welding table I'd on the back side, and movable for back access.
0926221354_HDR.jpg

Technically looking at the base width, the 1440CVS lists the base as 2050 mm (about 81"), the 1440TVS is listed as 2080 (82"). This does not include the the tailstock which can add 6-8" with the handle. So I think you would have similar limitations to both. The headstock side on the 1440TVS has the oil fill spout which adds about 6" but I assume that would encroach on the walkway. The draw on the tailstock side would not be accessible with either lathe, and this is primarily the flood coolant pump which most likely would be not use (or can be relocated)d. My personal opinion having the ERL and also having used the the RML(TE/TVS) version is I would go big if you can afford it and get it to the location you want. Space is an issue, and if you do not have the space then that would limit your options.

Why would you need an RPC, if your mill and lathe are run off of single phase VFD's?

Myself, and construction do not have a good working relationship. I can work on cars, I can deal with bodies, parts of bodies, and fix things around the house. Me, and wood don't get along.

That should work! As long as you're not in the position of having to push it against a wall and into a corner. If you can move stuff out from behind to get access, you're golden. And if your tailstock side sticks into your walkway, that won't preclude you from sliding the stock off the end. Even the reverse, opening your headstock side access is fine if it opens into a walkway. Just so long as you can get to it without moving and re-leveling. Now you have to get the TVS version, right?

Back