I have a problem...

Just saw this thread, Bear.

We have the same problem around here - mainly because we're neighbors as far as yellow jackets are concerned. This year we've eradicated two huge nests - one just off the back porch and one by the burn pile in the front pasture. Obviously, it's a little scarier when they're actually IN the building instead of outside.

All the advice you're getting is great - on the farm, we deal with this almost annually - but what seems to work the best for us is getting to the nest early in the morning and spraying. And I mean EARLY. By six or six-thirty, they're already moving, but if you get out there early enough, they're pretty defenseless. Spray them up real good, and if any are left over get 'em the next day.

Good luck. I hate those things. Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,
Terry

Oh, and PS: No matter what happens, if you're up close and personal, DO NOT swat at them and run from them. Ask me how I know.

Put on some protection(bee suit is best) and find the entrance hole under the porch. Usually the hive is located under ground
and you can see activity where the entrance is. Once you find that, it is an easy matter to shoot some hornet spray into that hole.

I've witnessed something you do NOT want to try. A neighbor took aim at a hornet's nest with his shotgun. He let off a round and did manage to pretty well destroy the nest. They will track the damaging round right back to the source; it was like watching a buzzing rope grow right back to the source. Shooter was almost instantly swarmed. Another reason we moved out of the area. Lack of common sense in neighbors.

Update...

This morning when I arrived home from work, I sprayed a full can of the Raid at the hole from as close as I could get... about 8 feet. I left it alone for a while...

I went into the basement and finished machining the part I was working on... I didn't see any yellow jackets in the basement at all.

So, possibly caulking all the cracks between the blocks may have worked... or maybe they just weren't interested in bothering me this morning...

After about 3 hours, I went back outside and checked on the hole... the spray didn't even slow them down... they are as busy as they were yesterday.

I called an exterminator... they are supposed to come out tomorrow and see what they can do...

-Bear

I've known for a couple of months now that I have a yellow jacket nest under my front porch...

I'm not interested in crawling under there to find them... I've taken the 'live and let live' approach. As long as they aren't bothering me, I won't bother them.

This morning I was in the basement machining a part for my Hendey project... and the yellow jackets started swarming... inside... around my machines... there was several dozen of them. Apparently, they have found a way inside...

My machines are just inside the wall behind (and below) the front porch. The basement wall is 12 inch block about 9 feet high, about 6 to 7 feet of that is below ground level.

Either they have found a gap between the blocks they can come through, or there is some way they can get between the top of the wall and the sill... IDK...

I really don't want to have to abandon my machines until cold weather...

Any ideas?

-Bear
If you can pour about a 1/4 cup of gasoline down their hole, if it's a meat bee nest or spray some gas on the nest while they are quiet at night the fumes will kill them.
A bee keeper taught me that. We had wasp nests in the ground in Paradise. This method killed every one of those suckers. I hate them.

Great. Someone had to do it. Now the fun's ruined for all of us, because drones equate to weapons for some dang reason.

Great. Someone had to do it. Now the fun's ruined for all of us, because drones equate to weapons for some dang reason.
I can’t fly my drone in very many places.
Not along the beach or in any state or federal park.
I don’t know why but I have a hunch. I don’t want to be filmed by a drone.

It's hard to manage these days without being filmed by someone somewhere without your knowledge. The traffic cams, the security cams, transit cams, toll cams, whatever cams the company installed, your doorbell cam, the guy in front of you's dash cam system, the cameras installed all over the Swift truck behind you, the one on the soda machine... yes, look closely at the touchscreen soda machine and tell me they're not using face recognition to compile a dossier of your consumer behavior... Yeah, we're all on camera all the time now, whether we give permission or not. That's good for a shiver!

Back