I got my Vevor lathe installed.

Just work to the tolerance needed for whatever part you’re making. You can still try to get it perfect, but you’ll know when you’ve done the job required.

A couple of thousands is close enough for most home hobby stuff. Once you get more familiar pick some projects with tighter tolerances and go from there.

John
John
Thanks for the great advice!
I do believe my machine is very well capable of tighter tolerances than a few thousands if I do my part. But the issue is the nut behind the wheel. I keep over shooting my target demention for many different reasons. The biggest reasons are my lack of experience and having NO math background. Accurately reading the dials and measuring devices have been my biggest downfall. It became painfully obvious that to be a good machist you will need a strong math background. I practice on my lathe every day. I pick any random object in my shop and try to duplicate it. I am getting better but my learning curve is greater than most rookies.

I never thought of concrete to add mass to a small machine.

I made a metal table for my 1922 South Bend, but only used 1/8'' plate for the top. (pre weight being added)
View attachment 467308

After wanting to add mass myself, I bolted and huge lamo beam to the underside of the table top. It it attached with LONG bolts through the lathes feet.

Worked very well as I'm sure your table will too.
Sorry, my post doesn't contribute to the thread. But that is 1 pretty lathe. At first glance I thought it might be an 8" model. But it would have to be around 10 years younger.

John
Thanks for the great advice!
I do believe my machine is very well capable of tighter tolerances than a few thousands if I do my part. But the issue is the nut behind the wheel. I keep over shooting my target demention for many different reasons. The biggest reasons are my lack of experience and having NO math background. Accurately reading the dials and measuring devices have been my biggest downfall. It became painfully obvious that to be a good machist you will need a strong math background. I practice on my lathe every day. I pick any random object in my shop and try to duplicate it. I am getting better but my learning curve is greater than most rookies.
Once the stock is fully cleaned up and spinning true, measure it and write the dim down. Dial in whatever and write that # down. After you make the cut, measure the stock and write the dim down. Now compare the amount dialed in to the amount taken off and note the difference.

Rinse and repeat and keep taking notes. You will start to see a cause and effect trend and how different depths of cut behave.
Just practice hitting random numbers and you'll get it.

Once the stock is fully cleaned up and spinning true, measure it and write the dim down. Dial in whatever and write that # down. After you make the cut, measure the stock and write the dim down. Now compare the amount dialed in to the amount taken off and note the difference.

Rinse and repeat and keep taking notes. You will start to see a cause and effect trend and how different depths of cut behave.
Just practice hitting random numbers and you'll get it.
Thanks for the great tip!
I will definitely do that!
Once again there is no substitution for experience!
Thank you!

Thanks for the great tip!
I will definitely do that!
Once again there is no substitution for experience!
Thank you!
I agree
It is like first tool a hammer great day as long as you hit the center nail only. The left or right nail changes your day.

I been doing the type of work since 1960's and have tried almost everything once. A group like this would have been real handy 50 years ago.
Now I know.

I am also welding group they same thing I did 50 years it not work then and still does not work for them today.

Dave

Back