I got my Vevor lathe installed.

Congrats on your machine and your robust improvement! I hope you stick around and keep us updated on your experiences as well.

No the compound allows the tool to move in and out at an angle which offers some options just turning the tool post won't. Turning the tool post only changes the presentation of the tool to the work, but won't allow you to cut much of a bevel or to cut a small taper like the compound will.

The compound is useful, but on a small lathe treating it like an accessory, and only using it when actually needed makes sense. It is an occasionally useful feature that impacts useful swing, and rigidity, two things often in short supply on small lathes.

If well designed going to a fixed block also allows you to turn bigger pieces, since the compound takes up a chunk of otherwise usable space under the part. On a 7" lathe the difference between the swing over the saddle and, swing over the compound is around 2".
Gotcha! Thanks!
So much to learn.
So little time.

Congrats on your machine and your robust improvement! I hope you stick around and keep us updated on your experiences as well.
Thanks JW
I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.
It's mind boggling how much great material is on this forum. Most of it is way over my pay grade but I will learn over time.

Not that you asked for it, but if I had one piece of advice, I’d say to do your best not to get carried away with precision.
Precision has its place, and it’s different for every job. Only an experienced hand can decide what level of precision is necessary. You get that experience by making a lot of things, and throwing away a fair portion of your first efforts. Or at least I did. Lol

Not that you asked for it, but if I had one piece of advice, I’d say to do your best not to get carried away with precision.
Precision has its place, and it’s different for every job. Only an experienced hand can decide what level of precision is necessary. You get that experience by making a lot of things, and throwing away a fair portion of your first efforts. Or at least I did. Lol
Thanks for the advice!
It really hits close to home for me. I have a tendency to get anal about such things.
Good enough is a concept that I often have trouble with.

after making 3 or 4 #2 morse tapers i removed the compound and made a riser block for the quick change tool holder.lots more rigid for everything.

Thanks for the advice!
It really hits close to home for me. I have a tendency to get anal about such things.
Just work to the tolerance needed for whatever part you’re making. You can still try to get it perfect, but you’ll know when you’ve done the job required.

A couple of thousands is close enough for most home hobby stuff. Once you get more familiar pick some projects with tighter tolerances and go from there.

Precision is relative to the job you’re doing.

John

I pored a 2" high yield concrete slab on top of a heavy wooden work bench 2 weeks ago and finally got around to mounting my lathe to it.
I pored the slab because the bench top was almost 1/2" out of level and felt this was a good way to level the top and add some mass at the same time.
I was able to get the lathe dead nut level with only one thin shim on the tail stock end. I installed 1/4" flat plate under the mounting feet of the lathe to increase the foot print of the lathe. This may have been a waste of time? After getting the lathe level I installed the 3d printed accessories. chip guard, lead screw cover, tool holders etc.
My first project was to turn useable cross slide handles and get rid of the worthless stock ones.
The lathe performed better than I expected but there are a few issues I must address. Yesterday was a busy day in the shop.
Looks great
What is next?

Dave

Looks great
What is next?

Dave
Dave
Funny you should ask that!
I have been intertaining the idea of building a dedicated horizontal mill.
I have enough parts to put together another lathe and convert it to a mill.
Don't know how practical it would be. As it stands now I have little to no milling capabilities.

Thanks for the advice!
Just work to the tolerance needed for whatever part you’re making. You can still try to get it perfect, but you’ll know when you’ve done the job required.

A couple of thousands is close enough for most home hobby stuff. Once you get more familiar pick some projects with tighter tolerances and go from there.

John

Back