I Got a Gentle Reminder Today

btw, why aren't you tucking your braid/pony tail into your shirt... just leave a little slack at the top so you are not pulling it all the time, or put it in a sack.. I would hate to see you with your scalp ripped off.. I'm sure the wife would not like that either.

that's a rhetorical question... no need to answer.
It's generally under the neck strap on my apron, when I remember to put it on. I have gotten as casual about walking up to the lathe as I am with the kitchen stove. This is a reminder to change that.

I was removing the pin from some Torx security screws on the lathe today. Small, close work, so I had my cheaters on and was leaning in close so I could see. Suddenly I realized my head was being pulled towards the ways. Fortunately it was slow enough that I had time to realize that my braid had been snagged by the lead screw and reverse the power switch, freeing myself. Just lucky the QCGB wasn't set for 4 tpi.

How many times have I admonished an employee about something similar?

I have snagged on the lead screw before looking down a hole I was booring, luckily I was on low rpm and low feed rate :) (also my stop buttion is easy to get at).

One of the easier ones to do , the chuck mostly looks kinda dangerous. The feed bars can easily not even trigger an "ow that looks dangerous" feeling.

Stu

I have fairly long hair and beard. Just try to stay fairly far back whenever the machine is running, and stop the chuck when I need a closer look. Us old Hippies need to stick together. Mike

That's "unrepentant old hippie" to you.

I'm not of the hirsute community; but observe questioning one another's braid is jovial adoration.
I suspect less approval here of man buns . . .
Will commission a new abbreviation, derived from 'DIY' into 'DITY'; or "Did It To Yourself".

I'm not of the hirsute community; but observe questioning one another's braid is jovial adoration.
I suspect less approval here of man buns . . .
ha
Your suspcion would be correct.
I do recognize that it is ever harder to do something that hasn't been done, something that will really offend your parents.
We had it easy, growing your hair long was enough. Now it takes so much more.
Even so, unless you are a young male Sikh, a man bun is simply ridiculous.
But then, I'm old. What do I know?

Glad you are OK. When I was still an apprentice working for a boss,I had a long braid and was working on a linbore when the shaft started pulling on my braid as I was looking at the hole being bored. It felt like a fish nibbling on a fishing line. At first I thought it was one of the guys pulling my leg.....well braid. I gotto tell you,I am glad the fish didn't bite. I could have been a gonner at 21 years old. This stuff happens very quickly and just as you loose that split second of concentration. Be safe guys.

Back