I Am Getting A Shaper .. Yaaaay

I've never seen a keyseater. Thanks for posting.
Crude but effective, measuring from the far side of the bore to the bottom of the seat is not possible without removing the work from the machine because the arbor is in the way, get it right the first time. I use a dial indicator attached to the lower frame with the plunger on the moving table. the Morrison machines move the table top for in feed, it pulls the cutter from the cut on every up stroke and advances on every down stroke like most machines.

Congratulations, the Logan is a nice machine. Had one for a few years and it did well, but it started the disease and I ended up with an 18 inch Peerless. You'll find they need to be bolted down, all the weight is at the top, it will start walking around if you get the speed up.
The Logan cut a lot of keyways, cut dovetails for my quick change tool post, and even racks for the cnc plasma table.
vg3Xri3T631Mkgju1_u9LN3mst1bxKQpLQiUxQ3Z89OWgp2rozF-XMQLc1hlxbsCerbfXtDmijjzdLkBBvB=w477-h358-no.jpg

l_SFWm55kxFWLGDXZB2Lp-86nzGBOTJrhS4IUpMDagiy6qR7Xpvdn0JAU3jO_mczPawG-_PofHb0UDm0w=w1829-h1224-no.jpg

Greg

I make inboard boat shafts up to 6" keying a tapered SS 6" coupling isn't fun.

i got it home last night , but the arthritis was acting up with the cold weather and i didn't manage to get it unloaded and inside the shop until this afternoon .

it has a couple minor issues , but is a pretty nice machine over all . the feed pawl doesn't reliably engage on one direction . and it has the wrong vice , its a pretty nice vice . just to big for the table .
and i think someone had the machine apart at one time and lost the gibbs for the back side of the table . the replacement they made for it needs some improving done to it . but it will be an easy fix .
and the motor is wired up wrong and running backwards . another easy fix

all in all i am quite happy $300 bucks doesnt buy much these days and i think i more then got my moneys worth .

pics ....

20161209_170911(1).jpg 20161209_170925.jpg 20161209_170945.jpg 20161207_180728.jpg

Nice looking little machine there, but yeah, lose that monster drill press vise!

Don't know if this is the case or not, but the mention about feed pawl not completely engaging reliably sounded very familiar. I had a similar situation develop on my Peerless shortly after I'd pulled it apart and cleaned everything. Turned out the cross feed screw just needed to have a touch more drag on it. Instead of the pawl clicking happily over the notches and then engaging, the screw rotated so freely that the pawl could push it a bit and it would skip an advance every now and again. I put an eighth more snug on the nut at the other end of the screw and it's been perfect ever since.

Just a thought. It took me a while to figure out was was, or wasn't going on with mine so maybe it'll save you a bit of time.

-frank

I got ambitious and took the feed ratchet apart . a quick squirt of brake cleaner to remove a bunch of dried up oil and problem solved :)

I also managed to get the motor out and wired to run the right direction .
I usually hesitate to berate what others have done , but who ever wired up the motor was an Imbecile . wires twisted together with nary a wire nut or even tape in sight .
Yea ... just bare wires twisted together . how it didn't short out is a mystery .

Waiting for first chips.
Still waiting..................

:)

Daryl
MN

first chips ... with first tool grind .

i'll consider the first tool grind a minor success , while the surface finish was a bit rough it did cut without chatter and made semi-fair chips .
i haven't learned the math yet to calculate actual cutting speed but i ran the machine at about 40 strokes a minute .015 depth of cut and .006 on the feed

20161210_141920.jpg

Back