I Am Getting A Shaper .. Yaaaay

bosephus

Registered
Registered
happy dance time i am getting a shaper ... wooo hoooo

it is an 8 inch logan/ j line and is supposed to be in nice ready to use condition . the pictures seem to support his claims and the price is reasonable enough that even if it does have a few minor issues it wont be a big deal .
so i struck a deal over the phone and will be picking it up Thursday afternoon sometime so pics will be forthcoming soon

did i mention doing a happy dance ..... i am pretty excited i have wanted a smaller shaper for quite a while now but until now i haven't found one i can afford that didn't weigh 5000 lb's .
ok maybe i am stretching the truth a tiny bit when i say i can afford it , i did have to ask my brother to borrow $125 and to borrow his truck to haul it :)

enough gloating ( im getting a shaper ... yaaaaay) what would help me is if any of you fellas can point me in right direction towards learning proper tool geometry .

i do have a couple projects in mind right off the bat ... first one will be to cut a couple internal key ways in some tooling for my little brown and sharp 000 mill , and i would like to learn how to cut dovetails on it .

learning how to grind proper tooling is my only real immediate concern though , so thanks for the help in advance

Congrats! But no pics, then it didnt happen........

;) Cheers Phil

i did find the manual and a few other very helpful tidbits in the download section , i don't know why i keep forgetting about those ..... thanks for the downloads nels

now as to the pics, hopefully we should have some of those tomorrow evening .
i did offer to go pay for the shaper while i am waiting for the truck to become available , but the fellow seems like a pretty straight up honest guy and said he would keep it for me .

i do have a pretty good brother , we might not always get along well , but he comes threw for me in a pinch when i need him . and he almost never asks for anything himself .
although he does tend to shoot up large quantities of my ammunition whenever he can so i guess it all works out .
lets see how he reacts when i pay him back on the $5 a month installment plan o_O

now to go out to the shop and get a spot cleaned out and ready for it

Congrats! They are wonderful little machines and highly entertaining just to watch. I have a 7"AMMCO. Sometimes I just turn it on to watch it run :grin:

Reactions: Guv
Good on ya, I have never seen a shaper in the wild even though I have worked in machine shops for 30 years, they are gone.
We do have a Morrison Keyseater that I run fairly often, it uses the same reciprocating principal as a shaper yet only does internal keyways.

Setup is a chore but it will quickly rip out a a 1" keyway, it makes a terrible sound when doing so however this I try to ignore.
It looks like this
keyseater_zpsxeiw68nh.jpg

Wreck.
I will get a picture of the Keyseater we have at work. I think it was on a ship during wwII
here is one just like ours.

Last edited:
Oh I thought the title said you where getting in shape

well i did have 4 strips of bacon and real butter on my toast this morning , so yeah im getting in a shape

Back