[How-To] Hydraulic plumbing: how do I stop this from leaking?

Then it's a good thing you have both the plate off and the innards disassembled; a right-hand drill
applied from the inside is likely to spin the bolt fragments right out.

Just thought of something: if a pipe sealant was applied originally, the parts won't seat right
until/unless you use a NPT tap to clean the threads (remove the old broken sealant).
Also... I'm not actually sure the bolts go all the way through for all of them... That would be a nice gift :) That said, 1 of them still doesn't give access to the back side for my drill/a bit. Might be time for a LH drill bit :)

Do you have a welder? I have much better luck removing broken bolts by welding a washer on and then welding a nut on top. Using a welder does two things. Heats up the area and gives you a good grip.

I don't weld unfortunately :/

I have a broken-bolt extractor set (the LH bits + spiral flute extractor) on the way, plus a benzomatic torch, plus a carbide burr. In the past, my system has been to use the torch to heat up the material, hit it with some break-free, carbide burr the center, then LH drill bit, then extractor. If it isn't out by then, at least I'll have a center I can use to drill it out.

If you end up having to drill the bolt out, and the threads are screwed up, install a Heli coil repair kit insert and get back to original size.

If you end up having to drill the bolt out, and the threads are screwed up, install a Heli coil repair kit insert and get back to original size.
Yep, might end up doing that. I am hoping I could drill it out enough to just clean it with the tap, but I'll see!

Might your hydraulic systems main pressure relief been adjusted?
It takes HP to make pressure.
It had leaks and someone thought that might be the cure?
If you are washing the permatex or another sealer out of the threads you have a problem with the fitting or the threads.
After your repair back the pressure relief valve off, lowering the pressure. Start your machine and adjust the pressure with a quality gauge to the correct system pressure.

It isn't the motor, I just ohmed it out. I suspect now the pressure relief valve, but have to find it first :)

I suspect I didn't let the permatex dry enough, so I'm going to better clean and goop all of my connections and give them time when I reassemble

Other good news ; only 1 broken bolt! The other two WERE broken, just not in my machine :) I can see the drill point at the back of each hole, so I think someone just replaced them with broken ones at one point...

The actual broken one (head came off in my hand) came out with some on blaster, a small application of map gas out of a benzomatic, and a quick turn on the vise grips and it came out easy peasy!

The vise grips turned with zero effort, so SOMeTHING worked a charm.

So, todays progress started by inspecting the broken bolts which resulted in figuring out that despite having 3 broken bolts, only 1 was broken in my machine :) That one removed easily.

I then disassembled the motor access/wiring and confirmed it was OK with an ohm meter, which was a relief!

Then, I pulled apart the pump pressure relief valve (I think? and cleaned it up and stretched the spring a bit. Nothing I think I could change on that:
PXL_20210226_231027637.jpgPXL_20210226_231034259.jpgPXL_20210226_232456862.MP.jpg

I reassembled it after cleaning and then opened up the pump itself:
PXL_20210226_232500351.jpgThat looked fine as well, so I don't think the problem is pump related.

Also, part of the plate that came off the side, this dataplate was gorgeous :)

PXL_20210227_001601922.jpg

I replaced these O rings (they were flat and brittle). Most importantly though is what I noticed with that pipe that L shaped pipe under that, the right side of which leaked like a sieve:

PXL_20210227_004345180.jpg

PXL_20210227_005006696.jpg

Yep, CRAZY cross-threaded. I think I'm going to have this remade in a rubber line as well as a part of the 90 degree off-a-90 degree one that caused me the most problems earlier. Changing both of those makes this as easy to reassemble as possible!

That said, I'm thinking my original pressure problem is actually a bleeding problem, so I need to figure out how to bleed the system... Once I'm assembled again of course :)

Back