[How-To] Hydraulic plumbing: how do I stop this from leaking?

Working with hydraulics is a major PITA . You need bent wrenches , multi angled wrenches , cut off wrenches etc . They're never in an accessable area either . I used hydraulic oil for shampoo for 4 years down at Sunpapers working on their presses . :burned up:
I already got that part down :) The piece on the right with the long black pipe slipped out of my hands while trying to get it out, so it went to the bottom of the tank. I was shoulder deep in fluid grabbing it out of the tank!

it is inadvisable to use teflon tape in hydraulic systems.
particulates or strands of teflon could potentially prevent check valves or control valves from functioning as intended
the only thing intended inside a hydraulic system is hydraulic fluid

it is inadvisable to use teflon tape in hydraulic systems.
particulates or strands of teflon could potentially prevent check valves or control valves from functioning as intended
the only thing intended inside a hydraulic system is hydraulic fluid
So you also suggest sealing the pipe threads with teflon paste?

i might add, only use the paste only on the threaded portion.
you may wish to avoid putting it on any angled surface that looks like it may be a machined sealing surface
if capillary action begins, it will soon get out of control in pressurized systems

i might add, only use the paste only on the threaded portion.
you may wish to avoid putting it on any angled surface that looks like it may be a machined sealing surface
if capillary action begins, it will soon get out of control in pressurized systems
Thanks! Seems as if that is the consensus. Looks like I get to go back to Ace again tomorrow!

I'm seeing several JIC/AN tapered seat joints that if leaking need to be tightened more, or replaced, the tapered pipe threads need hardening thread sealer, or Teflon tape. The straight thread pieces with O rings, may need new rings. Some may disagree....
You do not use any sealer on brake line fittings the tapered seat is the seal, same here...

I wonder since it’s in such a tough spot , the pipe elbow might not tighten in the correct location A different one might tighten better or maybe the elbow could be threaded further so it could be turned tighter

I wonder since it’s in such a tough spot , the pipe elbow might not tighten in the correct location A different one might tighten better or maybe the elbow could be threaded further so it could be turned tighter
That is sort of why I was hoping for a thread sealant that sealed after the fact... I'm going to try to replace the fittings anyway, but getting them to seat in the same right place seems like a difficult task.

Back