Hydarulic Dial Indicator Stand

Nova seems very expensive to me. The best ones are the ones who stay where you put them . I like strong magnets so I buy the strongest listed don't really matter who makes them it's the operator who does the figuring . And placing them where needed. An old VBM I use to run would shake and clank from. The old gear drive it had , used every indicator I owned to keep tolerance during the cuts. I swear Noah used it to build the ark. But even brand name holders will move or drop.off. Had a starrett holder once worse one I owned the cheap msc one I had never moved or dropped off. Like I said there only has good as there magnets in my opinion.

I can't help with rebuilding or fixing as I have no experience with hydraulic units but Hörger & Gässler are the quality German made ones. Maybe that's what the clones are copies of?

The H&G stands look cool. What's the advantage of hydraulic over mechanical for an indicator stand?

I have a Shars hydraulic indicator holder because it was cheaper. I just replace the o- rings on the piston when they start to leak. As for why hydraulic over mechanical? Well in a well built unit as H & G Hydraulic exerts much more holding power and with less parts to wear out.

The question was has anyone taken one of these apart. While it was cheap, it was not crap and worked well until I left it for an extended period without tightening the knob to hold it in place. I could throw it away but then I wouldn't know how it worked. That is why I would like anyone who knows about them to explain how to disassemble it.

I can't answer "why" the manufacturer chose to make it hydraulic. I expect because they copied Mitutoyo.

I believe they are held together by spring lock rings. not meant to come apart. I just fill mine wen it gets low and be done with it. For the last 12 years that has worked out for me.

mine wouldn't hold up for 10 minutes so I had to rebuild it to use it. now I tighten it down and store it on my tool block holder and leave it for weeks before it eases down. bill

I just bought a small indicator stand off of Ebay. It is small. Really small. Really really small. Itsy-bitsy teeny-wienee small. My wife thinks it's cute. I think it looks like a desk display model. Here it is with its big brother. The magnet is almost worthless. It is barely usable on my mini-lathe and I don't think it would work on much else. I thought I was getting a shorter arm version of the full size. Buyer beware.

IMG_20170318_223931.jpg

Now you have to make a movie where the small indicator stand acts as a child and the last indicator stand acts as the adult. And the little one gets in a lot of mischief. The little rascal.

I have a small one like that. The magnet is fine for it's size. I use it for a DTI.

The H&G stands look cool. What's the advantage of hydraulic over mechanical for an indicator stand?

My guess is that the single knob operates a piston which presses fluid against pistons in each end which allows you to do total adjustment with one knob instead of having a knob at the end of each segment that must be adjusted for re-positioning. Certainly is more convenient.

Chris

Back