How would you do this?

The trick there is to have multiple clamps, with a jack under each clamp point, and avoid moving more than one clamp at a time. You could also put the downturned side into a vice, use a couple pieces of copper wire run horizontal in the vice as buffers for the jaws on the rough surfaces, and then use a couple machinist jacks under the horizontal part to give it some support.
I like that second option!

Neat, but I’m not impressed by the simple fact that you’re suggesting welding on a galvanized part.

That is the last thing I would suggest someone to do unless I knew they understood the risks, and I didn’t see that covered.

Flycutting would have him inhaling enough galvanized dust to likely make him feel bad and welding on this would defiantly give him fume fever.

So given that, I think OP would be better served to foregoing this venture and buy a proper angle plate, or use this one as is, verses contaminating his shop and or tools with galvanized dust or fumes.
A. I am a certified welder. I was actually trained and know how to stick metal together. In lots of ways.
B. I did not go into all of the details about how to properly prep a galvanized piece of material for welding. Try Google. Evey hear of it?
C. Galvanization is merely a protective layer of zinc (essentially). It does not permeate past the surface. Remove it and the problem goes away.
D. Or weld on it in a well ventilated area, like outside, and wear a respirator.
E. Safety Third.
F. The issue I was trying to address is about rigidity. Making it flat is a separate issue. You can fly cut it all you want, but if it's not rigid, it will sing like an operatic soprano and may end up as a banana anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
A. I am a certified welder. I was actually trained and know how to stick metal together. In lots of ways.
B. I did not go into all of the details about how to properly prep a galvanized piece of material for welding. Try Google. Evey hear of it?
C. Galvanization is merely a protective layer of zinc (essentially). It does not permeate past the surface. Remove it and the problem goes away.
D. Or weld on it in a well ventilated area, like outside, and wear a respirator.
E. Safety Third.
F. The issue I was trying to address is about rigidity. Making it flat is a separate issue. You can fly cut it all you want, but if it's not rigid, it will sing like an operatic soprano and may end up as a banana anyway.
I LIKE this response! No offense intended, (to anyone).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I know better than to weld on galvanized, geesh!
Taking it to the sandblaster today.
I should have mentioned this first off I guess, sorry for any misunderstandings here.

Sure did not intend on starting a row here!

That's fine, but you need to understand we only know what you know if you mention it.

If someone says "Do this" or "Do that" without mentioning hazards that some may not know of, its a sticky situation as someone may come along in the future and see what may be bad advise and not know any better.

On a technical discussion board like this it is everyone's responsibility to point out potential hazards especially considering this is a "Home shop" type board.

Also, in your OP you asked if anyone would even do this, and I would not bother with this venture as that angle is not likely square and the cost/risks/time involved in making this "Free" object usable outweigh the benefit. A similar off the shelf option will likely cost only ~ slightly more than having this sandblasted, even before the trials of trying to square up something this large on a milling machine.

If you had access to a surface grinder large enough to accommodate this to true it up after whatever process you do, that would be a different matter.

This is simply my honest direct take, no ego involved.

So, having said that, Id be interested to hear what the sandblast shop says about this.

Last edited:
That's fine, but you need to understand we only know what you know if you mention it.

If someone says "Do this" or "Do that" without mentioning hazards that some may not know of, its a sticky situation as someone may come along in the future and see what may be bad advise and not know any better.

On a technical discussion board like this it is everyone's responsibility to point out potential hazards especially considering this is a "Home shop" type board.

Also, in your OP you asked if anyone would even do this, and I would not bother with this venture as that angle is not likely square and the cost/risks/time involved in making this "Free" object usable outweigh the benefit. A similar off the shelf option will likely cost only ~ slightly more than having this sandblasted, even before the trials of trying to square up something this large on a milling machine.

If you had access to a surface grinder large enough to accommodate this to true it up after whatever process you do, that would be a different matter.

This is simply my honest direct take, no ego involved.

So, having said that, Id be interested to hear what the sandblast shop says about this.
Dropped it off yesterday, They said no problem.
Film at eleven......

Ever get this back?
Yeah, just the other day
$40
I think I'll start by squaring up the L shaped edges edges that are already flat.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

• large angle block.JPG
    large angle block.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Yeah, just the other day
$40
I think I'll start by squaring up the L shaped edges edges that are already flat.
What do you guys think?

Probably would have been closer to $60 around here.

Did you decide to weld gussets or not?

Back