How would you do this?

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK, I have a gifted to me chunk of` angle iron I wish to make an angle plate from.
dimension's are 10" long by 1" thick, and the long edges are chamfered including the corner edge.
Th face heights are 10 x 6 approx. and the surfaces are galvanized and very rough.
My main question is can this be resurfaced using a fly cutter with a carbide insert?
How would you go about doing this, if at all?
I realize it will not be the most accurate but will suffice for my use.

Attachments

• DSCN0017.JPG
    DSCN0017.JPG
    578.3 KB · Views: 31
I would probably weld on some angled gussets on the back, to provide some extra rigidity, before machining the faces. It won't be as "stable" as a good piece of cast iron, but I don't see any reason why this won't work and be precise and useful.

I would probably weld on some angled gussets on the back, to provide some extra rigidity, before machining the faces. It won't be as "stable" as a good piece of cast iron, but I don't see any reason why this won't work and be precise and useful.
Like this?
I plan on using my upended rotary table for this operation

Attachments

• DSCN0018.JPG
    DSCN0018.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 14
Duplicate the way a cast iron angle plate is made. The gussets should be as thick as the faces.

0014401-24.jpg

Duplicate the way a cast iron angle plate is made. The gussets should be as thick as the faces.

0014401-24.jpg
That will warp it all to hell and back and put internal stresses into it that will take years to show up.

Op, I personally wouldn’t want to mill or grind that galvanized off.

I can actually taste that crap from here.

Sounds like the jury is still out, huh?

If you take your time and stitch weld it, internal stresses will not be a problem in this application. You could preheat the components also and cool buried in sand, but I do not believe it would be necessary for your intended use.

Back