How to solder to these round lugs?

Thanks, Shawn.

One thing this project made clear. I need to get a good desk magnifying lamp, or maybe a head type. I had a very hard time seeing what I was doing.

My eyes are not so great either. I have a few of those Luxo desk lights with the center magnifier and circular fluorescent lamp. The Luxo's seem sufficient for me in handling small parts and small soldering. If you get a head type - go for the visor unit in lieu of the magnifying glasses - unless you opt for the expensive top-shelf glasses like what surgeon would wear and made for your eye corrective prescription, etc.

Thanks, Jack. You make good points.

I know the shield wire was copper. The other wires were silver colored and could have been aluminum. (I don't even know if solder will take to aluminum) Once I used the hot iron, I had no problem with them, or the shield wire.

Strangely, the hardest wire to tin was the copper shield. I lliked to never got it hot enough to take solder. I even tried flame from a butane cigar lighter. (it sooted up but did tin a little) I tried every trick I knew, pressing it against something, and clamping it in the vise and clipping a hemostat to it for weight so I could make good contact with the iron. None of those tricks worked, until I broke out the big pistol soldering iron.
...also...if you are going to do much soldering, especially the small stuff, you will want something like a Weller soldering station (e.g., WES51 etc) instead of a soldering pistol. Those large 100-200 W Weller soldering guns with the closed-loop copper tips are for bruiser soldering applications - I have never had any luck in precise soldering with those big guns.

I am having problems with dry eyes. My eye doctor recommended some drops, but so far they aren't helping much. My close up vision goes in and out.

I am checking out some visor type magnifiers. I used to have one of those fluorescent desk magnifiers, but it's gone somewhere. I never could draw under one of those. I have all kinds of hand magnifiers but soldering takes two hands (so do watch screws).

I don't do that much small soldering anymore. There was a time when I made lots of cables but not so much anymore. I had a pretty good Unger 40 watt soldering (woodburning) pencil, with a small chisel tip, but I couldn't find it.

Probably just as well that you did not find your Unger woodburning iron - the contaminants from woodburning would have messed up the joint. You do not want to use a woodburning iron on a soldering joint - you need a dedicated iron that has never seen anything other than rosin core solder. The SE MH1047L Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier for under $10 available on Amazon has been always good to me. You can spend more - much more, and not get the value. The SE sits tight and steady on the head and is very light - making its use pleasurable.

I'd like to add one more thing on soldering. It should look like the solder flowed so it looks smooth and shiny. If it's dull and jaggy, redo.

I'd like to add one more thing on soldering. It should look like the solder flowed so it looks smooth and shiny. If it's dull and jaggy, redo.
PS, Franko, I'm sure that you know that, this for guys who have done little or no soldering.

Yeah, I've been soldering a long time. There are still things to learn, though.

The Unger has multiple tips. The soldering tip is only for soldering. I don't think I even have any of the wood burning tips. It has been around a very long time — at least 45 years — probably longer. It is probably the first soldering iron I ever got.

I am glad I am not the only one that has problems with those plugs! What a pain!

This is what I use when soldering:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H8808H6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MagnifyingHeadlamp.jpg

$15 on amazon and the two LED lights put out a pretty good amount of light. They come with 5 interchangeable lenses each with a different magnification. This picture shows the lens mounted with the curved side away from your face. It works a lot better with the curved side of the lens towards your face.

Franko, There is a type of soldering called resistance soldering. Looked it up and that may be the way to do it. Trouble is, a resistance soldering station can cost up to 200to300+ bucks, and that's one reason why I never tried it. However, there is a site that you can build your own using an auto battery charger, 1/4" carbon rods, and other materials. Sounds like it might be a future fun project. Anyway, I've been soldering as long as you have. you are right, there is always something to learn.

Back