How to SAFELY attach a lifting device to basement beams?

Tony Wells link=topic=3287.msg23679#msg23679 date=1314656251 said:
Rig up, buy, beg, borrow.....etc., one of these, or a facsimile:
100_0446.jpg

These lifts (I forget what they are called) are awesome but outrageously expensive, and also need a stAble lifting point.

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
turbinedoctor link=topic=3287.msg23680#msg23680 date=1314657081 said:
Maybe you could stand some 8' 4"x4" from the floor to between the joists, bolt a 2x6 between them and lift from that.

Could be hard to invision.

Turbo

So far, I am liking this idea best, except how would the 4x4s be anchored to the floor?

The 4x4s could be sandwiched on top by a 2x6 on each side bolted together. The 2x6s on top could have the hoist secured by a tow chain, around the 2x6 so it could be slid to the pick point.

Nelson

Nelson,
Why not use your engine lift and go in between joist somewhere in the basement to lift parts on the mill, then move mill after that. You can put mill on wheels, then when all together lift whole mill off the wheels when you get it in it's final resting place. You can also lay the mill flat on floor, put it all together, then tilt it up in place, it is a little tougher but doable. Just think of it as putting a heavy fridge on a two wheel dolly and tilting it upright in place, which I am sure you have done before. Just a couple of options.
Paul

pjf134 link=topic=3287.msg23753#msg23753 date=1314713820 said:
Nelson,
Why not use your engine lift and go in between joist somewhere in the basement to lift parts on the mill, then move mill after that. You can put mill on wheels, then when all together lift whole mill off the wheels when you get it in it's final resting place. You can also lay the mill flat on floor, put it all together, then tilt it up in place, it is a little tougher but doable. Just think of it as putting a heavy fridge on a two wheel dolly and tilting it upright in place, which I am sure you have done before. Just a couple of options.
Paul

It still won't be high enough to raise the motor and the ram assembly on the VN #12- I have tried on other things. I need something like a chain hoist. I do want to put Zambus or Carrymaster wheels on the mill, so the base will have to be lifted for that also.

I am thinking of two 4x4's with 2x6 feet, spread about 6 feet apart between the mill and the lathe (most likely pick points), 2x6's bolted with carriage bolts on either side of the two 4x4s between the joists, with a chain around the 2x6's to suspend the chain hoist. The load is carried by this wooden "gantry," no load on the house joists, and this will raise a few hundred pounds for me (at least) when I need to pick up the VN base, put the ram on the VN trunk, put the motor on top of that, etc.

Nelson

To lift my 250+ pound mill head, I lag bolted a 4x4 in between joists perpendicular to the joists. Two 3/8 lag bolts one in each end. It is now a permanane taddition if I need to move the head again. Worked like a champ and didn't even so much as creak when it took up the weight.

John

Nelson,
When you suspend the chain hoist, does that reduce your lifting height? I thought your lifting height was the problem? A short chain and hook on the engine lift with strapping around the part would get you higher than a chain hoist. A floor joist is strong and can lift quite a bit of weight, so 200 lbs. is no problem if you go that way. You can lift your body up on just one joist, so two would be double that.
Paul

If I position the 2x6's supporting the chain hoist between the floor joists, the chain hoist can get me close to 7 feet high. On the other hand, the engine crane arm will not raise all the way between the floor joists- it has a limited range, and I can't get it high enough. I'm also afraid of splitting a floor joist by screwing a lag bolt into the end. Some of the joists there are not in the best shape. I feel more comfortable using separate wood to do the lifting. If that wood splits or breaks, it isn't holding up the house.

As it happens, to slide the Van Norman base and trunk down the basement stairs, I bought 3 ten foot lengths of 2x10 to cover the stairs. Now I can cut them back to 8' and use them for the wooden gantry crane I mentioned above instead of 2x6's.

Nelson

FWIW, I just got a flyer in the mail today from Harbor Freight and they have the overhead hoist frame on sale for $599 currently.

200 lbs is your heaviest load? Rope block and tackle and a friend ......off any of the beams smallest hole needed 1/3 of the way down (1/2" hole and rope rated for more than the weight of your item......that is what I'd do ....inspect your beams for cracks and bad knots....if you are concerned
get a 250 lb friend to jump up and down on the spot you plan to use ...but don't stand under it while he jumps.....

Nelson

With an engine hoist, if the total lift is too low, you can do a couple of things.

First is to add an extension to the boom. This would be a piece of tubing that can slide over or into the existing boom. Note that as you move further away from the upright supports the load capacity is reduced, but for the weight you need to move, you will have more than enough capacity, even if you put a 3 to 4 foot extension on there.

Second is to lift the mast, but this will require modifying the whole unit.

Third is to put an extension under the ram, or between the ram and the lift arm. This will change how close to the floor you can get, but will give you extra height. Little if any capacity weight lose this way. Could be a tube that fits over the end of the ram, or a lift kit for under it.

Walter

Back