How to SAFELY attach a lifting device to basement beams?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
So I have a tiny shop area in my basement, and the ceiling is barely 8 feet to the joists.
Putting an engine crane down there allows me to lift only so high before the arm gets stuck on the 2x10 beams. When I reassemble my Van Norman #12 and have to hoist the 100 pound spindle motor up to the top, and the 200 pound ram assembly, it will not be easy without some hoisting device. Clearly, another solution is needed. But it has to be safe.

I worry that simply bolting a chainfall to a joist by putting a bolt through a joist and hanging the chainfall on it may split or compromise the joist, or weaken it, which clearly I do not want to do. There are also some water, steam, and gas pipes in my shop area on the joists, which makes it more difficult.

I can take some photos of the joist situation above my shop if need be, (perhaps the better idea), to show you what I am working with.

I am looking for a SAFE solution to hanging a chainfall or other similar device to the joists to let me hoist things like the motor and ram high enough to attach to the mill.

Thanks!

Nelson

If you put the hole as close to the center line as possible you will minimise the negative effect on the beam's strength.

-markM

Could you build a sub base, or whatever you want to call it, to hold the motor and ram from the center or lower and that the engine hoist could grab in its mid point? This would raise the motor etc high than using lift point from the top.

Rig up, buy, beg, borrow.....etc., one of these, or a facsimile:
100_0446.jpg

Turbo's idea is sound. Just depends on the height required for the lift. Cheap too.

Here are some shots of the ceiling joists, and the pipes that cross them.

DSC04520.JPG DSC04521.gif DSC04522.gif DSC04523.gif DSC04524.gif DSC04531.gif

Attachments

• DSC04532.gif
    DSC04532.gif
    178.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with a static lift point, like a hole in a joist, even if there are bolster plates to spread the load, is that you must locate the point close to the working point for the final lay, and yet close enough to the pick point. Granted, a couple of hundred pounds can be manhandled somewhat if close, or compromised. If you wanted a little flexibility, align a piece of I-beam to the spindle of the mill and using angled iron brackets, weld up some mounts to span several joists. Should be able to spread the load out across 3-4 joists. Trolley hoist hangers are readily available, and you could leave it to load/unload the work on the mill, along with rotary tables, etc.. The I beam wouldn't need to be really heavy

The fifth picture that shows your center beam? Why are the 2 bys on their sides and not vertical like they are usually?

That's the top of the doorway leading into the shop area. The joists are above the top plate. I took that photo just for perspective.

Nelson

Back