How To Reverse Rotation Of 1 Phase Motor?

Note that reversing *either* winding (but not both) will reverse the motor.

Hoooraaayyhh!! I have made my motor rotate clockwise! At past midnight, I have achieved success! The principle is actually easy. Thanks to John Hasler and RJSakowski, I ended up flipping the start winding. Initially, it was intimidating for a motor newbie like me to rip into the motor and windings but focus and making the effort to understand your advise helped me figure it out.

I'll be firing up my home built belt grinder tomorrow on her maiden voyage to see if everything works. All will be made possible with the motor now spinning the right way for the machine. If it's serviceable, I'll post on it at the Beginner's Forum. Thanks a million, guys!

A couple basic side notes for the future to help understand and remember the discussed topic. In the case of capacitors, when faced with dual capacitors, metal cased capacitors are RUN capacitors and plastic cased capacitors are START capacitors. Standard NEMA wire coding/marking is for the start leads are numbered #5 and #8, else color coded RED and BLACK. Swapping the connection of these two wires in a single phase single or dual voltage motor will reverse the direction of rotation. Now lets get back to making SWARF!

Thank you for the info. Perhaps its because my motor is older, the leads were not labeled in any way. Now I know. I did not take particular close attention but the smaller value cap is metal cased but the other black one I'll have to take a closer look at. Yes, in this case I'll be making grit!

Back