How to repair the spindle? (Craftsman 6", 101.07301)

Spajo

Registered
Registered
I have searched through this forum and read several posts about this subject. Honestly, it would be far more practical to just buy a new spindle on eBay, but I would like to take on the challenge rebuilding the spindle. If I fail, nothing lost. See a photo of the spindle. The damaged area is about 0.020" or more where it is pitted.

So the strongest repair would be to build up the damaged area by welding then machine it back to 1". A pro might use a spray welding rig, but I have an oxy-acetylene torch. I'm worried that the heat will warp the shaft. Comments on this would be appreciated.

On another website, I found professional machinist comment that you can repair a shaft by brazing (and use a bushing), but that the repair would only last about 1/4 as long as a welded repair. Is there a new metal rod to braze or silver solder the damage that would wear better than standard brazing?

A second thought is to use a low friction bearing + brazed repair. See this bearing.

Spajo

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 54
I have nothing to contribute other than to say that I wouldn't bother trying to fix that. If you can buy a new spindle or a really good used one then I would just replace it.

Gas welding will NOT work.

Shielded welding works on automotive cranks and would work here...but...

It requires an old school engine rebuild equipped to do it and willing to.

It also will warp it greatly, worked in such a shop 40 years ago straightening cranks.

Not all is lost...

They do make shaft sleeves for bearing seals, maybe one could be found that fits.

Or, if you have access to another lathe you could turn this one smaller and add a sleeve then cut to size.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Gas welding will NOT work.

Shielded welding works on automotive cranks and would work here...but...

It requires an old school engine rebuild equipped to do it and willing to.

It also will warp it greatly, worked in such a shop 40 years ago straightening cranks.

Not all is lost...

They do make shaft sleeves for bearing seals, maybe one could be found that fits.

Or, if you have access to another lathe you could turn this one smaller and add a sleeve then cut to size.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was worried about warping. I have a lathe and I have already experimented and found a setup that I think will work to turn the shaft down and keep it true. To be clear, a 1" bushing goes on the end that I photographed, but a pulley assembly goes in the middle, then the back bushing. I would have to either refurbish the whole shaft or use a split sleeve. The question is really how to fill the gap with something smooth which is harder than the bushing.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think new shafts are available. So, I'm for thinking outside the box on this project.

Spajo

It will warp. With a gas torch it will really warp. It can be straightened ,but for a lathe spindle it will be difficult to have any accuracy when finished. Would be easier to make a new one or find a good used one.

It will warp. With a gas torch it will really warp. It can be straightened ,but for a lathe spindle it will be difficult to have any accuracy when finished. Would be easier to make a new one or find a good used one.
It seems unanimous that heating the spindle is a bad idea. I've been looking for a used spindle on eBay for several days with no luck. So, I have to either get creative, do it the hard way, or give up.

I would give Clausing a call. They stock a surprising amount of OEM parts for old Atlas lathes. You will need to look up the part number and ask them for it by number.

I’m curious, do you have another lathe or access to one that you would be able to do any repair ,either by yourself or free by a friend ? Likewise , for welding ?

Back