How to remove cover?

BWS Arms

Registered
Registered
My lathe has a cover over the cross slide nut adjustment. The manual says to remove it using a magnet, but that doesn’t work. I have tried with a magnet strong enough to hold 75 pounds. I would like to save the cover if possible. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it?

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 30
Bearing puller or slide hammer ?

I can’t use the threaded hole to pull on because it must be part of the casting. That’s where the set screw to adjust the nut is located.

Go thru the hole and pull on the plate . Is it just stuck ?

It’s just stuck as far as I know. I just purchased this lathe about a month ago. I know the cover comes off because the manual says it does. I don’t want to damage it but I may have to drill it to use a slide hammer and then make a new one.

It’s supposed to be a thin steel plate that covers the nut bolts.

Maybe a few taps with a small hammer. Might bounce it out of there.

What sort (size,type) of magnet are you using? Some of the larger rare-earth magnets are very powerful; I have to be careful when using them to avoid (minor) injury.

What size is the hole in the plate, below the countersink? More specifically, do you have a tap in your collection that might scratch s a partial (or full( thread into the very bottom, non-countersunk area (of the plate only, NOT the rest of the machine), so that you might use a bolt or screw to pull, rock, or generally wiggle that around to free it up?

Back