How to mount a follower rest to a 6x18?

Hey, thanks! That's a good idea, I'll have to look at that. Boy, I didn't even think of doing that, haha! And thanks for the pictures as well.

Hi,
Looking at the configuration of your follower rest and the Atlas, yours mounts almost directly below the center line of the part to be turned. This may be a real problem in making a dovetail fixture that will mount to the Atlas compound. Before you waste any time and money on fabricating the necessary adapter, take some careful measurements. It may not line up properly.

I think you are correct about the height of the follower rest. But it is useless to Pat now and could be shortened and then attached to a fabricated dovetail. The original Atlas/ craftsman rests are fairly costly because there are a lot of folks who use these lathes. CAB

My main concern is not the height, it is the distance from the center of the followers to the arm (for my lack of a term, call it the yoke distance). True, the height can be adjusted somewhat effectively. My biggest concern is that it will interfere with the compound on a 6" Atlas lathe.

I understand. I could cut off a little bit of the base of the rest I have... I will try to remember to take a look at it today and see if I could get it to fit. If not, I'll begin the quest to man-afacture a new one!

Update - Nope! The base is only about 1/2" thick, and the horizontal arm is at least 1-1/2" too high. Ah well! I'll take some measurements and see if I can make one at school sometime.

Last edited:
Back