How to mount a follower rest to a 6x18?

Pat of TN

Active User
Registered
Hey guys.

It's a pretty simple, if not stupid question... I have an original follower rest for my Atlas 6x18 lathe, but I have no clue how to mount it. I don't see any places to mount the rest to the cross slide or carriage, so I'm pretty well clueless! I've even tried Google, but I get more useless stuff from eBay than anything else.

I've noticed that on this little lathe, things tend to chatter even with only 1.5 diameters sticking out of the chuck, so a follower rest would help greatly when a center can't be used.

Thanks in advance!

If you have the correct follower it should have a dovetail that mounts on the carriage dovetail behind the cross slide.
A photo of the follower you have would be helpful.

Hmm, okay. I don't recall there being a dovetail on the follower... Either way, I don't have a very good camera, but I'll try to snap a picture or two tomorrow.

Pat,

If it is actually a follow rest for a 618 or 101.21400, it has a female dovetail on the bottom. To install it on the carriage dovetail (which is where it goes), you first have to remove the chip guard which is attached to the back of the cross slide with a single screw on top. Then the rest slips onto the carriage dovetail from the rear.

Robert D.

Okeydoke, here's some pictures of my follow rest. One of the side, one of the base.

Follower rest side.JPG

Follower rest bottom.JPG

On the side, there's some numbers and lettering - B4Z 230 019 L.

As you can see, there's no dovetail. Just a very shallow, wide slot and two through-holes about 5/16 in diameter.

Follower rest bottom.JPG Follower rest side.JPG

OK. I don't recognize the main casting part number but it isn't for an Atlas. The Atlas 6" Follower Rest is M6-395. The main casting part number (which will be cast in place on the side of the casting) is M6-396. Also, on the Atlas one, the fingers are solid, not slotted.

Perhaps someone else here will recognize whose part numbers begin with B4Z.

The problem with adapting it to an Atlas 6" is that if it is actually for a 6", you may have to cut most of the base off in order to fit a dovetail under it and still have the horizontal finger on center (where it must be). I think that your best bet is to find out what it was made for, sell it to someone who has one of those machines, and then buy an Atlas or Craftsman one that will fit out of the box.

If you want to see what the Atlas one looks like, go to eBay and do a search on "atlas 6 lathe follow" and right now it'll bring up one with several photos. Asking price is on the high side (although it is unused in the original box) but you don't have to buy it just to look at it.

Robert D.

I see... I had a feeling it wasn't right. It came with the lathe, but I guess its previous owner may have bought it and never used it or attempted to and just kept it... oh well! I may come up with a way to manufacture a follower rest for my lathe. I ain't got 100 bucks to spend on one.

Thanks, guys! Problem solved.

I see... I had a feeling it wasn't right. It came with the lathe, but I guess its previous owner may have bought it and never used it or attempted to and just kept it... oh well! I may come up with a way to manufacture a follower rest for my lathe. I ain't got 100 bucks to spend on one.

Thanks, guys! Problem solved.

Here are some pics of an atlas 6" follower showing the dovetail. you could fabricate a dovetail either steel or aluminum with a flat top and bolt your rest to it, that is if the center height works.
CAB

6x18 atlas follower rest.JPG 6x18 atlas follower 2.JPG

Back