How To Make "spacers" For Cat Excavator Bucket Pin.

Thanks to everyone--
Billy G-- Mc Master Carr had them for 10 bucks each-- and I'm in a bit of a hurry-- so that is going to be perfect--thanks.
Bob

That's why we are here, to help any way we can.

"Billy G"

Gotta Love McMaster-Carr. I use them for most stuff because they always have what I want and they ship real fast.

Not sure how old your bucket is but most of the modern buckets have adjusters to adjust for this wear.

My bucket is 2003-- no adjusters-- at least I don't have them.

I think we are talking about that annoying side slop? What I did was to cut rings out of thoses 'blue plastic'
barrels. Cut as needed no need for precision for this, its just to fill the gap. (my gap was 1/2 on both sides)
I think my pin was around 3 inches all done with a hole saw... Or 5 gal buckets.

GK1918-
Yes it's that side slop -- and it's only at the pin at the end of the stick that holds the quick couple to the stick-- my slop is about 1/2 inch.
How did the blue plastic hold up? --didn't get squashed after a while?
Thanks for the help-
Bob

Bob that stuff is kind of bullet proof its tough, its free and its fast. And then we had one
so bad I cut 5/8 plywood with hole saw cut the piece in half secure it with a big
radiator clamp redneck it is but that worked. Still will never know why they don't have
some kind of seal - its the grease and dirt thats the killer.......sam

Hi guys,
FYI, thanks to the help on this forum I finished the shimming of the stick on my excavator. I bought the shims at McMaster: it was 2 bucks each for the 1mm shims, and for some strange reason, 9 bucks each for the two mm shims. I installed CAT O-rings outside the shims- designed to keep the grease in. Used 5mm of shims on each side of the pin =took out 10 mm of slop. --Bucket doesn't "wag" back and forth any more. Total cost about 50 bucks (mainly the CAT O-rings).
Thanks again for the help on this forum.
Bob

Back