How To Make "spacers" For Cat Excavator Bucket Pin.

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
I have an excavator that has a lot of slop (side-to-side) on one of the bucket pins. the slop is maybe a total of 1/2". I want to make two "washers" with holes in the center the size of the bucket pin, maybe 3 inches, a total washer diameter of maybe 7 inches, and about 1/4 inch thick.
I need help on how to do this--I was thinking about getting a very short piece of 7+ inch bar stock and chucking it with my 4 jaw chuck- and facing and turning to diameter, and drilling/boring out the 3 inch center hole--would this work?
I really can't figure out how to cut this off-- I don't think I have a cutoff tool that will cut off 2 1/2" deep.

--Maybe I'm totally on the wrong track--
Any and all advice appreciated.
Bob

You have door #! that says make your own. Then door #2 says buy them. At $21.00 (door #2) each I would go with door #!.

"Billy G"

I have a circle burning attachment for my torch. I'd just burn them out of 1/4" plate and debur, be done with them for a couple of bucks.

Billy G,
Actually I'm short on time-- do you know where I could buy these shim washers? CAT makes them in 2mm thickness, but 1/16" , 1/8", or even 1/4"- like I was going to make.
Thanks,
Bob

Try McMacter Carr or Granger.

"Billy G"

A local welding shop could knock them out on a cnc plasma table in a couple minutes.

We have a few members with Plasma Cutters, maybe one of them can help?

"Billy G"

Back