how to make good fit?

Hole depth is about 2". Total rod length is 4". I will cur it off after i fit it. don

Then I would work on the 2'' of rod. Maybe clean and lap the hole slightly first. Taking less than .001'' off a rod in a controlled manner by hand is challenging. If you overdo it then you have more rod to try again. If it has to be easily removable but hold itself in then why not create a slight taper?

It is hard to imagine what your constraints are. Why titanium, why not a taper pin like this?
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11506754?r=~|categoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"|~ ~|categoryl2:"600108 Pins"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600121 Taper Pins"|~ ~|sattr01:^"Taper Pin-Internally Threaded"$|~

Note that galvanic action can occur between dissimilar metals and certain oils and greases can promote that action, which will seize the pin in solid if the fit is too close. So again, why titanium?

Last edited:
Measure your rod with a mic. If its consistent at multiple points around its circumference, and along its length, then reaming is probably the best. Drilled holes are rarely straight, especially one that is 2" deep. If the hole isnt circular, or changes direction midhole, then you will need to take heaps off the Ti rod to make it a nice fit and slip in 2". But then it wont be a nice slip fit anyway.........

Cheers Phil

Not an expert, didn't even stay at a Holiday Express last night, but if a press fit is what you're after, I think you're already there (the rod being 0.001" larger than the hole).

Just press it home.

Back