How To Finish Aluminum In The Garage?

I powder coat Smalls often , what is it ?.
A small die cast project box. Specifically, a hammond 1590B. http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg.htm The dimensions are speced at 4.40x2.38x1.06" but the casting isn't very square. The cost was under $10 including shipping. Actually protecting this part isn't important, the goal was/is to learn how to properly finish aluminum.

Ied powdercoat but I'm set up for it, etching primer then top coat should work ok .

Ied powdercoat but I'm set up for it, etching primer then top coat should work ok .
I already have a toaster oven for bending "kydex". What powder gun do you use?

I think it's a Eastwood set up , got it off craigslist $50 with a bunch of different powder. I mostly coat brass caseings

I use Sharkhide http://www.sharkhide.com/ if I don't powder coat. It is a clear coating for aluminum. I've used it on polished dirt bike parts (including the swing arm) and it holds up surprisingly good. Although a quart might seem expensive, a little goes a long way and it has a shelf life of "forever".

There is NOTHING as durable as the aluminum itself. Any kind of applied surface finish, will eventually give in to some kind of degradation. I think an anodized finish would be the most durable. And a rattle can paint job your worst pick for applied finishes. But what about a brush finish? Maybe spot face it? Maybe shot peen it? Maybe one of these choices on bare aluminum?…Dave.

Last edited:
Bare aluminum exposed to the oxygen in the atmosphere develops a thin surface of aluminum oxide quickly, you may have noticed that much consumer sand paper uses aluminum oxide as an abrasive, it is very hard and is also corrosion resistant inhibiting any further oxidation.

Stainless works the same way, when exposed to oxygen the chrome forms a layer of chromium oxide on the surface which inhibits further corrosion in many enviornments.

Leave it be. Anodizing thickens this layer and may be colored.

Bare aluminum exposed to the oxygen in the atmosphere develops a thin surface of aluminum oxide quickly, you may have noticed that much consumer sand paper uses aluminum oxide as an abrasive, it is very hard and is also corrosion resistant inhibiting any further oxidation.

Stainless works the same way, when exposed to oxygen the chrome forms a layer of chromium oxide on the surface which inhibits further corrosion in many enviornments.

Leave it be. Anodizing thickens this layer and may be colored.

As does Titanium, its quick forming oxide layer is extremely hard and I believe more durable than the material itself.

Back