How To Finish Aluminum In The Garage?

dogma

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a small, unimportant, aluminum part that I would like to cosmetically protect against being splashed with cutting fluid. The part is in no way critical but I would like to go about this the "right way" as a learning excise. I have no previous experience with finishing aluminum and I am not particular about the type of top coat. From what I have read, aluminum requires more consideration than the mild steel I am used to dealing with. However, my garage is not yet a super fund site and I would prefer it to stay that way.

Options that I have identified.
  • powder coating - it seems that this may be acceptable to apply to bare metal aluminum? I do not have powder coating equipment but this seems doable on a small scale. The primary health hazard is inhalation of fine dust. Of course, for a one-off I would have a local finisher do it.
  • enamel, epoxy, urethane, etc. top coats - it sounds like all of these need to be applied over "primed" surface that has been anodized or chromate converted (alodized)?
  • ceramic coatings - do these need a conversion surface prep? Media blasting seems to be recommended. I don't currently have a blast cabinet or a high CFM compressor to drive one. They mostly (all?) seem to use MEK as a thinning agent. I'm not thrilled about spraying high concentration MEK but this is tolerable with a respirator and bunny suit.
  • anodizing - toxicity isn't bad but I'm not thrilled about the potential for acid bath fumes to cause corrosion. My main hesitation is needing to store the bath chemicals.
  • chromate conversion (alodizing) - not exactly thrilled about handling potentially hexavalent chromium... I looked at a few SDS' and they pretty much only list chromic acid but this is probably in the strong NO WAY category.
  • aluminum one step primers - these reportedly don't yield great results. I'm not sure how well they could work as the SDS seem to be mostly solvents and titanium dioxide and/or zinc phosphate. Eg. http://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/254170.pdf
Are acid etching primers commonly used with aluminum? What do you folks recommend?

Your inquiry is a little ambiguous. What are you protecting the aluminum part from? If your looking to simply paint the part, it must be clean like any other paint prep, however a special primer should be considered for aluminum. Zinc Chromate primer is what I use when spraying aluminum. You should be able to find a spray can of it locally if you only need to coat a small part. Use in a well ventilated area as with all paints and solvents and protect your respiratory system. Keep your lungs pink.....

The powdercoating is fairly cheap and most semi major citys have a powdercoater or 2, but it adds irregular thickness to your part.
The 2 part epoxies, paint, duracoat, ceracote, are all epoxies that will stick to clean scuffed surfaces. They arent the best for abrasive protection but are fairly cheap and doable at home.
I cant coment on the anodizing, as I have never tried it.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas by Jake Parker!

Why are you not just leaving the natural aluminum finish and let the cutting fluid help preserve it?

I powder coat Smalls often , what is it ?.

I would just buy a spray can of clear and paint it.

What are you protecting the aluminum part from?
[water soluble] cutting fluid. I believe that is commonly some composition of water, petroleum distillates, a surfactant (eg., triethanolamine), and/or a glycol.

Zinc Chromate primer is what I use when spraying aluminum.

I hadn't discovered that class of treatments. Sounds like a combination of cold zinc plating and chromate conversion in a can. I pulled an SDS and it did list chromic acid, which means Cr(VI) is a concern.

The 2 part epoxies, paint, duracoat, ceracote, are all epoxies that will stick to clean scuffed surfaces.

I suspect your right that an epoxy is the most practical / reasonable toxicity home option. I even found some rattle can options. The pot times are at best a few days, so it would mean burning an entire $20 can for a small part.

The powdercoating is fairly cheap and most semi major citys have a powdercoater or 2, but it adds irregular thickness to your part.

I think I will go ahead and try to price powdercoating to see what the proccess is like.

Back