How To Cut Small Travertine Tile Without Chipping?

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm installing a backsplash using a rented wet saw. All is well except I need to cut a 90 degree bevel on the small cap tile. On each side to end with beveled edges together. Pieces are about half inch by three eights and the material is fragile.

The bigger tiles cut no problem but when I put the small ones in the 90 degree jig and push through the blade they chip. Tried slow feed. There are a few I need to complete the job.

Is there a tool other than the tile wet saw that might work better?

Small pieces are a royal pain to cut. Could you hold them in a soft jaw vice and shape them free hand with a hand grinder and diamond wheel.
Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I figured it out. I told the Home Depot guy I needed to cut the trim that way and he gave me this large jig to bolt on and do it. Jig led to cracks. So I took the jig off and put on the regular angled slider usually seen on a table saw. Set the angle and it cut much better. With a couple tries I got what I needed. Next step was going to be put a wood backup on it but I didn't have to.

I was being careful with each piece. Some broke but I was making them. Then I took 6 at once stacked one up one down to give matching bevels and slid them through the blade at the same time and it worked without breaking any.

Cut the angle on the piece while it is large, the who,e 6x6 or 12 x12 then cut the straight cut. Also look at the blade. If it is a segmented blade switch to a continuos rim blade. If the travertine is unfilled, fill the voids on the back side of the tile with epoxy, color does not matter, then cut the small pieces. The last option is to grind the bevel on a large piece with a diamond cup, then do the straight cut...good luck!

Brav65 has the right idea. But you really should start with the corner tile, not end there. That way the corner tile with the beveled edge is full size, and smaller ones to end the row are on the inside corner. Or use preformed tile edging. They come with beveled or rounded corners and you install them first and tile right over the flanges. Home Depot carries a selection of Schulter trim, very good quality. I used their system the last custom shower I built.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...Bullnose-Tile-Edging-Trim-H8712SN98/206449060

Try wrapping them in painters tape I do that quite a bit on fragile tile

This is my favorite blade it has a thicker center section to minimize blade flex and wander T3 Packing with new Blade.jpg

You can also use these to rough cut them polish stone and porcelain they're available from tile shops and also carry them at harborfreight I do this for a living feel free to message me if I can help image_16773.jpg

You can also cut it a wee bit over sized and polish to size with a rub stone :)

Back