How To Cut A 90 Deg V

Speaking of, I used a fly cutter over the weekend to thin down some red oak parts. It was a Tormach superfly, I ran it at 5100 rpm and 25 ipm. Messy but it left a very good surface finnish. I've done wood on the mill before with HSS end mills. It can be hard to get a good surface finnish. Wood likes to work around 4000 fpm cutting speed which is hard to achieve with smaller end mills. I expected that router bits would work on aluminum (I've used the router on aluminum before) but I will have to give them a try on steel.

Router bits can be High speed steel.Carbide not necessary in steel ,brass aluminum.Probably work in other metals too,I only noted the ones I have personally used.
mike

Update...I purchased a cheaper router V cutter from ebay but suppose to be a good one..they were 8 dollars and change each so i bought 2...

Anyways seems to cut the 8620 ok...but first.... i made a few passes with a 1/4" ball endmill so that tiny point wont have to do any cutting!

here are some pictures...came out ok...not perfect but for a hack like me it is a working tool! drills dead center every time!

Thanks for all the recommendations!

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

Looks good! :encourage: Thanks for the link, I'll check those guys out. Always looking for a better deal.

Back