How To Cut A 90 Deg V

Sk8ter

Active User
Registered
Hey guys I have a small grizzly g0704 mill that i would like to make a lathe crotch for my little mini lathe..

what I have done is turn and face bore and tap for the mt2 arbor .....now how can I do this to get it exactly center?

my thought is blue the face scribe center line and use the end of the endmill to line it up...I will have to tilt the mill head because I have no good means to hold this round part at 45 deg..I want to cut a V in

suggestions comment etc..

I really dont have the money to buy a proper horizontal V cutter...

Thanks

Lawrence

90° router bit, about $30 at my local Home Depot for a 1/2 inch shank. Your scribe idea should work fine also.

upload_2016-6-30_12-0-31.png

I also forgot to include what type of material I made it out of....its 8620......Will these router bits work with this steel?

Will these router bits work with this steel?

Sure, they're carbide. I've cut stainless with them. Just don't get too greedy with the cut depth. I use router bits all the time in the mill, and sometime the lathe for corner rounding. Cheaper than equivalent HSS milling cutters, and normally available on a weekend afternoon when you break one.

I have a set of Harbor Freight 1/4 shank corner rounders I use both in the mill and the lathe. Just take the bearing off, and grind the bearing nose off. I have been replacing those with 1/2 inch shank bits as I need them. 1/4 shank is a bit light for much mill work, especially in the larger bits.

I have a couple of local vendors for router bits also, but Router Bit World is a good online vendor.

Thank you very much...I am not a wood guy so i have no idea about the router bits....awesome !!...I will look into getting something here soon....

Lawrence

Can you recomend a tough router bit? I would like to do a 1" vee

For the larger V, tilting the work or the head and using and end mill might be your best bet. Cutting a slot in the center will help, before cutting the angles on the V. You could use a slitting saw in the lathe to cut the slot, but it would probably require building some fixtures and arbors.

.I am not a wood guy so i have no idea about the router bits....awesome !!

I'm not a wood guy either, but I was looking at a router bit one day and thought........hmmm that should cut metal just fine, so I tried it. Worked great! Just a little outside the box thinking. The geometry is a bit different than metal working bits, but close enough.;)

Correspondingly,metal cutting end mills work fine on wood. Especially the 2 flute ones! They do need to be sharp for a clean cut. Run the mill fast as possible. The rigidity of a milling machine makes the bits work well in wood.

Back