How to Center a Rotary Table in Under a Minute Without Using an Indicator

Being new to machining, centering a rotary table or squaring a vise takes me a while. Now I can reduce setup time for the table.

Thanks!

Ken Sharp

I had to subscribe to your youtube channel, Tom. You have a bunch of great stuff on there, and this one is what I needed. Like others, I'm a newbie and love things like this to make it quicker and simpler. Then, instead of trying inaccurate work-arounds to avoid using my rotary table, I'll put it on and set it up in a jiffy like this. I'll be adding the tool to my project list. Did you say .003 in one inch, taper? I imagine it wouldn't matter too much, right? Thanks for the tip.

Thanks guys, glad the video helped save you some time.

Barry: Yes, .003" works well for the taper. It's a good balance between maintaining a lot of contact area in the bore and falling through.

Tom

Again I want to thank you for sharing your ideas with us. I am a visual person and your videos are so very helpful. You are appreciated more than you know!

David

Wow I don't know how I missed this!!! Thank you for the video!!! You have a new subscriber!!!

Chris

Great video Tom you make things that seem to be a pain so easy and fast Thanks. Also went to youtube and am now subscribed and ready absorb more of these great ideas. Thanks again

Great video Tom you make things that seem to be a pain so easy and fast Thanks. Also went to youtube and am now subscribed and ready absorb more of these great ideas. Thanks again

They are a pain for me as well which is why I come up with these shortcuts. I still resist rotating the head on the mill to cut an angle because it's such a pain to re-align. I've been tossing around an idea for a device(product) to help with that, but haven't got it worked out yet.

Glad you are enjoying the videos. I actually taught high school machine shop in the 70's, it's kind of fun to be resurrecting some of those old demonstrations.

Tom

I'm a newbie here and have a bit to learn. That was most helpful. Thanks!

Bill

Glad you enjoyed the video Bill, there should be a new one up shortly.

Tom

made one about 15 years ago when i got my home mill...also have a 4x1" bar permanently mounted to the bottom of the R T so i can drop it in the vise and go

Back