How to Center a Rotary Table in Under a Minute Without Using an Indicator

T

Tom Griffin

Forum Guest
Register Today
Here's another addition to my series of one take wonders that shows how to center a rotary table in under a minute without using an indicator. This one's only four minutes long so the boredom factor will be kept to a minimum.

Tom

[video=youtube_share;GjezShYnoEU]http://youtu.be/GjezShYnoEU[/video]

Thanks Tom! Great timesaver... Definitely worth a few minutes making the brass tool

Bernie

Another great video, Tom. Thank you!
I use a similar method with my 4" Vertex RT on my X2. I use a M2 taper that fits the RT center hole.On the top end of the taper, there is a 60° center drilled hole. I made a 60° point on a short length of 1/2" drill rod, and put that in a collet in the mill. I drop the center pint into the center drilled hole on the RT and clamp it down.
I also made a MT2 taper with a copy of my mini lathe's spindle nose pinned to it. It allows using all my lathe chucks and face plate on the RT.

Chuck

Another great video, Tom. Thank you!
I use a similar method with my 4" Vertex RT on my X2. I use a M2 taper that fits the RT center hole.On the top end of the taper, there is a 60° center drilled hole. I made a 60° point on a short length of 1/2" drill rod, and put that in a collet in the mill. I drop the center pint into the center drilled hole on the RT and clamp it down.
I also made a MT2 taper with a copy of my mini lathe's spindle nose pinned to it. It allows using all my lathe chucks and face plate on the RT.

Chuck

That's the way I've been doing it all along. Great video Tom.

"Billy G"

LOL, BillyG, I probalby got the idea from you...

Chuck

That's the way I've been doing it all along. Great video Tom.

"Billy G"

Me too and the 60* point method, and a great big bull for boring very nice vidio, that, I can not do and fix broken hearts i can not do . This is an excellent vidio well done,
these are the kind of things not taught in schools or books. Not only for the young also for a group of us that cant see any more.

Thanks guys.

Most of the more useful techniques can only be learned from experience, not by reading books.

Tom

Thanks Tom
I enjoy the vids you make, and thanks for sharing them.
I think your vids should be a sticky, and put in the same place
to allow us all to find them real easy. Look forward to the next one Tom. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tom,
Great idea and a well done video! I can see one of those in my future, as the last centering of my rotary table was far from a one minute job.
Michael

Back