How to attach shim stock to tail stock base

jethrow

Registered
Registered
I've determined that my tailstock center is .0069" lower than the headstock center. I've located some .006 stainless steel shim stock but not sure the best way to attach the shim stock to the base of the tail stock. Machine is a MicroMart 7x14.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Jethrow

Hi Jethrow, just did a quick search for your lathe. The tailstock is two piece, the base that rides on the ways and the body. You should be able to put your shim stock in that gap and not need to attach it.
Hope that helps
Greg

Thanks for the idea. The tailstock has a Z axis adjustment for the base/body relationship but I hadn't thought of shimming between the base and the body.

Jethrow

Yep standard practice. This is how its done at the factory
IMG_5125.JPG

Cheers Phil

IMG_5125.JPG

I've determined that my tailstock center is .0069" lower than the headstock center. I've located some .006 stainless steel shim stock but not sure the best way to attach the shim stock to the base of the tail stock. Machine is a MicroMart 7x14.

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine your tail stock was out of alignment?

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine your tail stock was out of alignment?

Put a centre in your spindle and another in your quill. Bring them together and note the difference, left/right and up/down.

Cheers Phil

Put a centre in your spindle and another in your quill. Bring them together and note the difference, left/right and up/down.

Cheers Phil

Thanks. I'm not a machinist by trade.. how do you "note the difference" to .0001 inch?

With a DTI that is .0001 Tim

How are you holding a dowel pin in the tailstock? Drill chuck? No wonder why your getting to much offset...

Even if it is that far off it shouldn't matter too much. A drill will flex to the center.

Back