[Newbie] How To Adjust Tool Height On A Lathe?

Take the rocker out and turn the concave washer upside down. Put the tool holder in and lock it down. Since the tool holder holds the bit on an angle, just slide the bit out until its on center. You may have to make a thicker washer if your tool is hanging out of the holder to far. I just added another washer underneath mine as you can see in the photo below. Do this with all your holders and every time you change them you're on center.

IMG_20150604_172002_kindlephoto-61601732.jpg

I haven't read all the above posts but will say that a QCTP made my turning experience much more enjoyable. My lathe came with a 4 way post and it was relatively easy to find shims to do the job. However the learning involved in shimming tools was quickly mastered and became a burden. Learning to use a QCTP was much more enjoyable and gave me better options for my non repetitive hobby style jobs. I recognize and respect what a 4 way tool post has to offer but I can't imagine life without a QCTP for the turning I do.

And the QuickChange at the BB also requires some milling to make it work, so I'll go to shimming the tools on the 4-way.

Dave, just for the record it is easy to avoid having to custom mill the T nut that comes with a QCTP by using the T nut from the original 4 way holder set up. Buy a bolt that fits the top nut of the QCTP. Turn the head off and thread to fit the original T nut. Keep the new QCTP post and T nut for posterity.

Can show you pictures of the 200 series QCTP on my BB 12x36 lathe if you like.

Last edited:
I haven't read all the above posts but will say that a QCTP made my turning experience much more enjoyable. My lathe came with a 4 way post and it was relatively easy to find shims to do the job. However the learning involved in shimming tools was quickly mastered and became a burden. Learning to use a QCTP was much more enjoyable and gave me better options for my non repetitive hobby style jobs. I recognize and respect what a 4 way tool post has to offer but I can't imagine life without a QCTP for the turning I do.
I haven't gotten around to it yet but I intend to make several more four-way posts. They are simpler than the QCTP toolholders and each can hold up to four tools. I should be able to change toolposts (which I will only need to do when the next tool isn't on the post I'm using) as quickly as I could QCTP toolholders and I'll only need to mess with the shims when I do something that changes the cutter geometry.

Many lathes these days come with that kind of very basic tool holder. The normal course of action is to buy a better toolpost that is adjustable. There are 2 basic type that are COMMONLY sold: The wedge type and the piston type. The wedge type is more rigid but costs more. For home shop application,and the size of your lathe,the piston type would be perfectly adequate.

Stay away from the old fashioned "lantern style". They are nowhere as rigid as the wedge or the piston type holders.

Found a picture of the tool post with the rocker:

View attachment 122978
So how do you think they machined the arcs in the bottom of the slots? Maybe a casting? Maybe the top plate is separate and is attached after the fly cutting work? Scribed lines on the block and freehand milled with a small end mill? Just curious.

Bruce

Back