[Newbie] How To Adjust Tool Height On A Lathe?

dave_r_1

Registered
Registered
Attached are some pictures of the tool post on my Force International 1440.

From all my reading, both books and on the internet, the height of the cutting edge is pretty critical, it should be pretty much right on the centerline of the lathe.

From what I can tell, there is NO way to adjust the height on this toolpost. I'm considering grinding a shim to put under the tool, but that just gets me in the ballpark and it would be a shim/tool which IMHO would be ridiculous. The blue tool a 1/2" cutter and it is about 1/4" too low.

I understand I can buy a replacement toolpost that has an explicit height adjustment, but given that the height of the cutting tip being critical, to within a fraction of an inch, what is the point of a toolpost like this one? Is it just that this toolpost assumes that I buy only tools that wind up at EXACTLY the right height? Or that it's just shim-city?

I can understand that maybe it would make the lathe a little more expensive to have a large adjustment, like even 1/4", but not that it has NO (at least that I can see) adjustment at all.

How the heck do I adjust the height?

IMG_0494.jpg IMG_0495.jpg

That is known as a 4-way tool post, one of the most solid and rigid posts made. However, it is a pain to adjust tool height and yes, you do have to shim your tools. Once you settle on a given shank size you'll accumulate shims that will get you adjusted fairly quickly ... at least until you sharpen your tool and then it all changes again. This hassle is the key reason most of us use quick change tool posts. While not as rigid as a 4-way they allow for quick and easy height adjustment, which is a compromise most of us live with.

wowzers. given that this is so important, that the default for a lathe is "we got nothing, figure something out yourself" seems pretty lame. I would have expected at least a small fine-tuning adjustment.

Guess I'm off to buy a QC tool post.

I would have expected at least a small fine-tuning adjustment.

They're called shims!

Get the QCTP but keep the 4-way for those set ups when you need to do repetitive tasks. If you set up 3 or 4 tools to the right height you can switch tools very quickly and they will be very solidly held.

Hi
The 1/2 tool is a bit small for your lathe, 5/8 or 16mm will get you near the point of center height, then packers & shims.
flat bar for 1/8, 1/4 & sheet steel for the thin shims.
This is all we had when i started turning, you quickly get good at setting the height of the tool. LOL

I have the 4 way tool post on my Grizzly 4000 and all I have done is when I set up a cutter I just keep that set of shims with that cutter. Doesn't really take up a lot of extra shims so it isn't a big deal to me. I try to figure out my cuts when I make something to save changing cutters back and forth unless needed. As stated by pineyfolks I buy feeler gauge sets and they are pretty cheep and just use metal flat pieces for larger shims where needed. Guess I never had a big issue doing it this way but have thought of the QCTP option just never bought one. To center a cutter I use a 6in ruler and works real easy and fast when needed.

The four-way I made is a step up from the lantern and Armstrong setup my Logan came with. Shims work fine for setting height. My plan (when I can scrounge more cast iron) is to make a couple more four-ways. They're no more complicated than QCTP toolholders and I figure I can change out a four-way as quickly as I could a QCTP holder. I do plan to add alignment and indexing mechanisms so that when I switch back to a tool I'll be in the same place.

My four way tool post had a semi-circular cut out with a rocker type part so that it could be adjusted like a lantern tool post. It worked well for adjusting the tool bit on center.

I also agree with Jeff that you should look at using a different size tool.

Make a shim, round or square, that goes between your tool post and compound that puts your largest cutting tool on center. When using smaller cutting tools your shims will be thinner. Another way to accomplish what others have suggested.

Tom S.

Back