How old are you?

How old are you?

• Total voters
The worst part is the lack of anyone wanting to do the stuff we do. I only know one other bloke (a close friend) who does this and he's in his 80's

There have been 2K views of the thread but only 108 votes. A number of viewers replied but didn't bother to vote. Judging from those that did, the majority (66%) of forum members are at or near retirement age. A survey does little good if no one replies.

I make a decision to post a certain type of content based on my perception of the wants and needs of the group. Based on this survey, it appears I should be posting old war stories rather than a thread to help some new and aspiring machinist. You do no one any favors by not voting.

There have been 2K views of the thread but only 108 votes. A number of viewers replied but didn't bother to vote. Judging from those that did, the majority (66%) of forum members are at or near retirement age. A survey does little good if no one replies.

I make a decision to post a certain type of content based on my perception of the wants and needs of the group. Based on this survey, it appears I should be posting old war stories rather than a thread to help some new and aspiring machinist. You do no one any favors by not voting.
it's how most everyone is, they would rather sit on the sidelines.

I participated in the poll and also posted a comment and would love to see an accurate breakdown of the demographics of the group, but I (at age 73) wouldn't be surprised if the percentages would turn out to be about the same if everyone participated. Still, that would mean that there would be several thousand people in most of the age groups. We still wouldn't know what the ability or knowledge level of group members would be, since that isn't necessarily tied to age. Since this is a "hobby machinist" group I'd assume that many of us, maybe a majority, are on the (relative) lower end of experience. With that said, I would encourage you to keep posting the kind of things you have been posting, because there are undoubtedly thousands of us in the group who appreciate them!

Well for those of us accessing the site using Tapatalk from mobile phones there is no poll...

For the record I'm 50 (and can't vote in the poll).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

65, last May. Voted in poll last week, but failed to respond to this thread. Just fixed that.

Slowly learning the art and science of machining. Hope to be passable some day. In the meantime, just plugging away at it.

Back