How old are you?

How old are you?

• Total voters
I found out the other day I am now officially "old".
I had a fall. I didnt fall over, thats what youngsters do, I had a fall.
It should have been serious but I was very lucky in that forgotton body memory kicked in.
I was walking the dog but looking up at the lack of clouds but feeling rain drops when I almost trod on his paw.
I felt it before my full weight pressed down on it so lifted my foot and moved it forwards some more to clear it.
Unfortunately the dog had also moved in front of me so my leg couldnt complete the move and I started to topple.
This is when the body memory kicked in, my arms folded up and pressed tight into my chest, my head turned to my right shoulder with my chin tucked in, I bent at the waist, twisted sideways and sort of rolled down my leg and hip and hit sideways on my shoulder completing the turn and roll and completely flipping over.
Ok, it hurt a bit but no broken bones, small graze on left knee, tiny bruise on left hip that was all.
I was just so amazed it all happened automatically with no thought from me because it all happened so fast.
All those years of falling over ice skating, ice hockey, skate boarding cycling, etc etc actually had a use.
If I had done the usual old folks fall of thrusting my hands out to stop the fall I would have definitely broken my arm or wrist.

Back