How embarrassing

We in the UK are all metric… apart from Road signs (MPH/yards) officially. I’m of an age where everything in schools was taught in metric, but my parents measured my height and weight in feet and stone/pounds so these are the measurements that make sense to me.

This has lead to me dealing in speed in mph, measurements of my body in imperial, and all other measurements in metric.

I always have to translate when watching American YouTubers telling things in thousandths etc as they just don’t resonate with me. Is 2 thou much different to 200 thou? I have no idea until I convert to metric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well yea, 200 is 100 times the size of 2 :grin:... sorry I couldn't resist.
I work in both, especially when knowing I have to halve things. Metric is easier for that, or thirds ..etc.
But when it comes to understanding what something is in my natural imperial, when someone states a metric value, I have to use a conversion program to put it in perspective. But the reality is metric is easier.. Now if I can only figure out why metric screws need a drilled hole of 4.2 for an m5?? or 1.25mm for M1.6x0.35 or 2.05 for an m2.5 x 0.45 damn..And here in the USA when you buy a basic metric set, it's in .5mm increments, so you just get close, but not on.

Now if I can only figure out why metric screws need a drilled hole of 4.2 for an m5?? or 1.25mm for M1.6x0.35 or 2.05 for an m2.5 x 0.45 damn..And here in the USA when you buy a basic metric set, it's in .5mm increments, so you just get close, but not on.
The hole for imperial and metric threads is the OD minus the pitch, so it doesn’t always land on a nice common number. Same reason you use letter and number drills for imperial threads instead of fractional sizes. For metric threads, I found the letter and number drills are close enough, and many tap charts list the imperial size needed, so no need to get oddball metric drills.

The hole for imperial and metric threads is the OD minus the pitch, so it doesn’t always land on a nice common number. Same reason you use letter and number drills for imperial threads instead of fractional sizes. For metric threads, I found the letter and number drills are close enough, and many tap charts list the imperial size needed, so no need to get oddball metric drills.
I knew that, just stirring the pot.

Amazing how passionate people get over imperial versus metric.
When I become the benevolent ruler of the world, I’m not going to outlaw inches and feet since they do seem more appropriate for human scale.

What I will eliminate immediately is fractions. Decimal inches only!!!!!!!!! And everyone will have to get a tattoo saying “25.4”.

@websocket Did you call PM about this? What they say? Are going to have to learn metric to use your mill? I guess if you have a DRO it's probably no big deal.

Back