How do you put a 90deg bend using a shop press?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi guys,
i want to safely bend a flat piece of 1/4" thick by 2" wide and 12-18"long.
I have a HF 12 ton hydralic shop pump press.
Can it be done safely, if so , what tooling do i need to perform that task.
Thanks
Jon

you need a couple dies to allow for a crisp bend, i have seen these for sale at machine liquidators, also a good idea to part with the cast plates used to support your material, i have heard some horror stories of them breaking... again check swagoffroad site and at least look at the conversions kits he sells for hf presses. you can than plan your own from there if you wish...

hth
sorry to sound like a commercial for this sit

rich

If it were me (I don't have a 12 ton press) I'd use a torch and heat it red hot... easy to bend then.

You can build a brake attachment like this or a piece of 3" channel for a bottom die and a top die made out of flat bar. You can grind the sides for clearance, just leave about a 3/16 flat on the end. It doesn't have to be fancy.

100_8489.JPG

For a one-time project a 1/4" x 2" should be easy and not that thick to bend especially when fully annealed at the area where you need to be bend.
I've done it before by just careful hammering while rigidly clamping the bar in large bench vise.

A hydraulic press would be better but you need to make or buy a 90° bending die.

Jon,

I have a HF 12 press as well. Here is what I just bought for mine.

Northern Tool Press Brake

Don't think for a second it is a one-time use. You'll find all kinds of reasons to use it once you have one. Also, you'll notice that it is a bit over size for our presses. I just turn it diagonally and it works just fine. Oh, and they are heavy, I recommend having it delivered to you local Northern Tool store and just pick it up there, saves on shipping this way also. Good luck.

Jon,

I have a HF 12 press as well. Here is what I just bought for mine.

Northern Tool Press Brake

Don't think for a second it is a one-time use. You'll find all kinds of reasons to use it once you have one. Also, you'll notice that it is a bit over size for our presses. I just turn it diagonally and it works just fine. Oh, and they are heavy, I recommend having it delivered to you local Northern Tool store and just pick it up there, saves on shipping this way also. Good luck.
Hi Randy,
what was the reason why you did not buy the 12 ton swag off road break from harbor freight. it is a 12 ton press for $249 With free shipping and is only Only 36 lbs. At northern tool , it is 70 lbs with no free shipping. where we live, there is no northern tool stores around? Please let me know. Thanks Jon

Hi Randy,
what was the reason why you did not buy the 12 ton swag off road break from harbor freight. it is a 12 ton press for $249 With free shipping and is only Only 36 lbs. At northern tool , it is 70 lbs with no free shipping. where we live, there is no northern tool stores around? Please let me know. Thanks Jon

Well Jon, you kinda answered your own question. The Northern Tool unit is much more heavy duty and being that there is a store right here near me it really was an easy choice. But, it sounds like you are not quite in the same boat as I with a store near by. Looks like you'll have to seek another option (the Harbor Freight one). Sorry, I didn't know your availability to a Northern Tool store.

Back