How do you measure the depth & Width of V cut?

How would you accurately measure the above diagram with a depth mic, the middle of the pin? You would have to hit the pin dead center with a depth mic.
Getting repeat measurements is my concern here.

A standard depth micrometer has a flat end about 1/8" round (my sets) on the end of the measuring rod. It’s not hard at all to use in this application. Being dead center is not a concern…Dave

A standard depth micrometer has a flat end about 1/8" round (my sets) on the end of the measuring rod. It’s not hard at all to use in this application. Being dead center is not a concern…Dave

Mine is similar. Have not had a problem repeating measurements. (Other than my normal ham-handed beginner variability!)

I bought a V groove Melin cobalt cutter in 1/2". This is the DP-1 version for V grooves. This will make the work a bit easier. I can get a good starting cut on center and drill the hole Melic_C17818.jpg Melin_A48257_HDR.jpg MelinB895.jpg for the bushing at the same time. For the .390" wide x .20" d, I just have to bring the cutter down to that depth, .20 to get my .390 V.
The larger V on the 2nd FP will have to be finished on an angle.

Not really. Bisecting the angle yields two equal right triangles. The angle of the right triangle can be calculated here:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

and doubled to get the actual angle.

Tony is right though. Nothing in the information above indicates that the base of the angle is parallel to the surface.
Exactly, no included angle specified nor an angle from a reference plane, for all we know the proposed block looks like so.

It's a 90° V groove, not what is shown in your nice diagram. I'm making two finger plates. One of the V grooves is .390" not .290.
I typed in the wrong number. It is .390" W x .20 d Sorry about that.

The other V groove is .535" W . 90 degrees. I guess you would have to see the drawing.
I worked out how I am going to machine this.

Last edited:
Back