How do you like using heavy duty magnetic pickup tool around lathe and mill?

My shop vac hose keeps getting clogged with metal chips :/ anyone have a good way to prevent that?

Use a chip brush and dust pan...........................Bob

I use a 3 inch magnet on a stick. It works well on ferrous chips and saves my back when cleaning the floor. For non ferrous chips I use a double reverse wound coil of farthing wire around an oak dowel powered by diLithium crystals.

My shop vac hose keeps getting clogged with metal chips :/ anyone have a good way to prevent that?

I have a very high flow water outlet and oversize garden hose. Made a fitting to go from garden hose to vacuum hose. turn water on for 10 seconds. Done.

This won't work if you got a 3/4 or less water line to a boiler drain type water hose valve. Just not enough flow.

<EDIT> if you don't have enough flow, try pushing a golf ball through with water. I've not done this.

I use a Dust Deputy with my shop vac,(got mine from Lee Valley) it picks all the metal chips , shavings, dust in an auxiliary bucket and almost nothing gets inside the shop vac. , I highly recommend it, if you are up to it you can build your own.
This is the type of set up I'm talking about:
Source: Google
images.jpg

I use one of these (actually a cheap Chinese knockoff) on my table saw. Love it!

Back