How do you like using heavy duty magnetic pickup tool around lathe and mill?

For those of you who are using a shop vac to clean up the oil spills along with the swarf that are concerned with starting a fire I would say that you have every reason to be cautious because there is a very real possibility for a fire to happen.
FWIW I would like to make a suggestion that will solve this potential problem cheaply and you probably have the materials needed around the house.
Basically I am suggesting the addition of a separator before the vaccum tank.
You need a bucket of water that is at least half full. You need to cut 2 holes into the lid that allow the hoses to pass through so they are a "snug" fit that holds them in place without restricting the flow. Hose 1-(working end of hose) You take the long section of hose that goes from the "Wand" and you insert the end that would have been connected to the vacuum intake into the bucket so that it almost reaches the bottom (the opening MUST remain Under Water.) Hose 2- (usually a shorter length of vacuum hose) you insert one end into the 2nd hole that you cut into the bucket lid ***VERY Important*** the end of this hose that goes into the bucket must remain ABOVE the water line.

I remove my vacs filter when i use the seperator just incase i accidentally suck up water into hose 2 so it doesn't get ruin the filter. Anyway it works great at eliminating the really fine dust that gets pass a normal filter and because it captures all the garbage before it hits the tank you will eliminate the potential fire hazard before it could get started in that old vacuum tank.

Last edited:
At first, I didn't know what the bottle is for. Later, it seems the caulk tube doesn't fit well, so the pill bottle fits better and work together. Very nice. If not too much of a stretch (pun not intended), a heat gun can be used on the caulk tube to reduce the need of the bottle.

Last edited:
You need a bucket of water that is at least half full. You need to cut 2 holes into the lid that allow the hoses to pass through so they are a "snug" fit that holds them in place without restricting the flow. Hose 1-(working end of hose) You take the long section of hose that goes from the "Wand" and you insert the end that would have been connected to the vacuum intake into the bucket so that it almost reaches the bottom (the opening MUST remain Under Water.) Hose 2- (usually a shorter length of vacuum hose) you insert one end into the 2nd hole that you cut into the bucket lid ***VERY Important*** the end of this hose that goes into the bucket must remain ABOVE the water line.

I remove my vacs filter when i use the seperator just incase i suck up water so it doesn't get ruined. Anyway it works great at eliminating the really fine dust that gets passed a normal filter and because it captures all the garbage before it hits the tank you will eliminate the potential fire hazard that got started in that old vacuum tank.
This is a design they sell for avoiding dust sanding drywall, works very well. I have it, but it never occurred to me to use it for preventing fire. Very clever. Thanks!

You are creating an explosive atmosphere inside the vacuum and hose by atomizing oil into an aerosol mist and charging it with plenty of air. You're just lucky you haven't encountered an ignition source yet.

Try an absorbant pad or something that won't put you in a burn unit.

You are creating an explosive atmosphere inside the vacuum and hose by atomizing oil into an aerosol mist and charging it with plenty of air. You're just lucky you haven't encountered an ignition source yet.

Try an absorbant pad or something that won't put you in a burn unit.
People said fire, not explosion. Now that you said it, I won't do it again. Thanks.

My shop vac hose keeps getting clogged with metal chips :/ anyone have a good way to prevent that?

Here's one I prepared earlier.
Length of stainless rod, garden light tube(SS), magnet from busted pond pump, couple of bits of scrap brass.
Cap off paint can.

Attachments

• IMG_20190405_133403.jpg
    IMG_20190405_133403.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190405_131310.jpg
    IMG_20190405_131310.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15
My shop vac hose keeps getting clogged with metal chips :/ anyone have a good way to prevent that?
Put a metal net in front of the hose. So when you got enough, point it to a bucket and shut down the vacuum. Just like a magnet, turn switch and the magnetic is gone. Sorry, I can't help it :)

Back