How Do You Clean Up Rust?

+1 on electrolysis, best thing is it does all the work for you...
I've gone over to carbon rods (arc gouging electrodes with the copper stripped off using ferric chloride) instead of scrap steel for the +ve anode, makes a lot less mess in the tank :)

Dave H. (the other one)

Haven't tried it but a friend in the body shop business swear by balled up aluminum foil and
coke a cola , this is for chrome that has some rust on it. Ball up foil poor on some Coke on it and gently polish the rust off chrome

Kinda makes sense. Coke is loaded with phosphoric acid.

Haven't tried it but a friend in the body shop business swear by balled up aluminum foil and
coke a cola , this is for chrome that has some rust on it. Ball up foil poor on some Coke on it and gently polish the rust off chrome

I've heard that as well way back in the '60's. Coke contains phosphoric acid.

i wash all my rust with water...it comes out looking rustier than ever!

I just reading a different way. Mixing borax with lemon juice into a paste. Scrubbing with it. Then rinse with water.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I ended up picking up naval jelly by "Loctite" brand - worked very well on the light tarnishing on my drill press column, not so well on some rusted and pitted thread dies I got in a eBay auction.

Just recently, when I went through my walker turner drill press. I cleaned up the rust on the column by spinning it on my lathe and using a scotchbrite pad. then used some spray wax on it to help protect it. If anyone had seen my setup they would have laughed though. I had a 2 3/4 x 36 inch tube in a HF 7x12. The end was sticking out so far I cut a V in a piece of wood and clamped it to a table next to the lathe to support the end.

Steel wool and oil, or a homemade evaporust solution and a wire brush.

Back