How Do You Clean Up Rust?

A side note on Evaporust, shop around, as some places put a premium on it. Locally, it's available from $22 - $30 a gallon.

You can get it at Harbor Freight of all places.

I would recommend electrolysis rust removal. Very simple to do. No need for chemicals. Use common house products. Lots of info on the web about it. I have tried it too using powdered laundry detergent. Works great.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

It really depends on how bad it is. I usually just use ether car polish or ATF & some steel wool. If it is bad or I'm going to paint I use Hydrochloric acid. These won't remove the stain color but it doesn't need removed for my use. I deal with so much rust were I live it is just a given if you last it down for a few minutes it will rust.

+3 on Evaporust. Pick up at HF for $21 with your 20% coupon around here. Tried it for the first time last week and I'm a believer. It is non toxic, claims to be sewer system safe depending only on the iron content in the old product.
Dave

I use a triangular scraper to remove most of the developed rust then either steel wool or maroon scotch brite followed by paint thinner on a rag wipe-down.

John

I usually either just wire brush it or use phosphoric acid. If I want a rust-resistant finish I rinse it after taking it out of the acid, air dry it, rub it down with linseed oil, and hang it in the sun.

I use a sanding eraser from Garrett Wade, LPS 1 and some elbow grease. They don't load up and can be carved to fit along contoured surfaces. I haven't tried Evapo-Rust but that sure seems to be an easier way, it's on my shopping list.

Bruce

upload_2016-1-18_8-59-29.png

I use POR 15 Prep & Ready.
http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Metal-Prep_p_15.html
It is a very good surface rust remover. A grey ScotchBrite pad and about 5 minutes of your time and the column will be rust free. The Metal Ready also leaves a zinc phosphate coating so future rusting is greatly eliminated. I use this stuff on all of my welding tables and they stay rust free for years as long as they are kept fairly dry...
Mark

+1 on POR-15. I was introduced to this product by a professional auto body repair technician @ a local Lincoln-Mercury dealership. He totally swears by it (favorably that is).

Careful using acid. I used vingure on my high carbon tap & die set that caused them to crumble like bad caulk.

Back