How do I keep my wife from telling me I told you so?

Also, my main pump and the backup have separate discharge pipes! If you have them tied together and a check valve fails you loose both pumps!

One of the best investments I made is a whole house, back-up generator with automatic transfer switch. It wasn't cheap and was a lot of work to install but totally worth it.

One of the best investments I made is a whole house, back-up generator with automatic transfer switch. It wasn't cheap and was a lot of work to install but totally worth it.
I have a 6300 max, I think 5300 run generac. I have to hook it up. It saved our bacon more than once. I blew the rings trying to take a shower after 2 weeks of cold showers. I just wanted to warm up .. An automatic unit would be nice, but we usually are only out an hour or 2.. The last time was a day.. 14 days is the most so far.

I was a Briggs & Stratton backup generator sales and service outlet when I had my business. If you have one I will encourage you to make sure if it runs for more than 8 hours please shut it down and check the oil. I had one burn out, warranty repair but still a pain.

The decision to buy these things was usually driven by the wife, not the husband....

John

I was a Briggs & Stratton backup generator sales and service outlet when I had my business. If you have one I will encourage you to make sure if it runs for more than 8 hours please shut it down and check the oil. I had one burn out, warranty repair but still a pain.

The decision to buy these things was usually driven by the wife, not the husband....

John
Mine blew the rings from over loading it. And it was a Tecumseh... Briggs I was told was not offering a year round motor.. On the Tecumseh the air filter housing can be turned to the head for cold weather running to pre-heat the air.

And I decided to purchase it when we moved in. We were out in the middle of no where.. my first nights in the house the windows were screaching like a blade of grass between your thumbs. The wind was blowing clear across .. nothing to slow it down... I knew I would lose power.. Well, I was wrong.. we have survived many big blows... Not so good during the ice storms..

Tecumseh has been out of business for a long time now, if rings broke from the load it must have been on the way out long before then.

The two generators I kept from my business are Tecumseh units because I know I can get them running with minimal tools and/or parts (I have a 10 pack of carb kits and extra spark plugs). They are however nothing like automatic, more like get me through the zombie apocalypse....

John

Tecumseh has been out of business for a long time now, if rings broke from the load it must have been on the way out long before then.

The two generators I kept from my business are Tecumseh units because I know I can get them running with minimal tools and/or parts (I have a 10 pack of carb kits and extra spark plugs). They are however nothing like automatic, more like get me through the zombie apocalypse....

John
No they were not on their way out, but we were running the generator for 2 weeks straight. I changed the oil a number of times.
when I flipped the breaker for the water heater the load was enormous... Blue smoke , no compression after, and it would no longer handle the load.. I had to back off... The rating for the water heater was 30amp, and the gen was 30amp out, but I had lights, and computer running.

Being out of business may explain why I had a problem locating oversize rings.

There's probably enough NOS Tecumseh parts out there to keep their stuff running until the end of time (if you can find them). I'm gonna say the two weeks straight was likely your problem, these things are meant for temporary use.

If anyone is off grid, or needing a genset that will handle these conditions definitely get a water cooled unit.

John

Back