Horizontal mill build

I'd be referring to your castings...
those down at the start of the thread look pretty large and 'spread out'--
How do you keep the metal from cooling in all those passages before it fills the mold up?
:thinking:
The largest casting is the mill bed and I think that's around 18" long. The key to keeping the pour moving is to place the pouring gate as close to the center of mass as possible so the distance to the extreme end of the casting is the same for both sides. Then you have to have the casting thick enough that it doesn't freeze and pinch off the flow. Finally, on the larger castings you should pour just a bit hotter than normal and have bigger sprues to provide molten metal as it cools and shrinks.

Update Horizontal mill build

I took some photos of the mill as it is currently along with a short video showing the process of cutting the spindle bore. [video=youtube_share;C_fIqWBuRQI]http://youtu.be/C_fIqWBuRQI[/video]

Mill with motor temporarily mounted to the mill bed. This allows the motor to follow the boring bar as it goes through the spindle bore.
GEDC0044.JPG
The treadmill motor had a ribbed belt pulley. I needed a v belt pulley so I cast a blank on the existing pulley and machined it for a half inch belt. Pulley diameter is 1.5" not 1 1/5 indicated in the photo
GEDC0045.JPG
Here is the bore partially cut.
GEDC0046.JPG
To adjust the cutting bit I made this jig. I use a feeler gauge to move the screw away .010 then advance the cutter to hit the screw and tighten the clamp bolt.
GEDC0048.JPG

GEDC0044.JPG GEDC0045.JPG GEDC0046.JPG GEDC0048.JPG

It has been awhile, how is the machine coming along? It certainly looks good up to this point.

It has been awhile, how is the machine coming along? It certainly looks good up to this point.

The mill is done and working. I used it today to cut some slots and mill some excess material off my 3D print extruder. I'll have to get a few snapshots of it and post them.

The mill is done and working. I used it today to cut some slots and mill some excess material off my 3D print extruder. I'll have to get a few snapshots of it and post them.
Cool!

The Gingery mill is an interesting design. From what I can see it is derived from some really old mills from the 1800's. it is good to hear that yours is up and running.

Re: Horizontal mill build update

Looks like you also use Aspire software to make your pattern. Great program.

Looks like you also use Aspire software to make your pattern. Great program.
My shop is purely hobby, I can't justify the cost of Aspire for that reason. I used Cut3D for the CAM and Alibre for the CAD. Not as good as Aspire but it works.

Gadget,
I am looking forwaed to some more pics of the Gingery builds you are doing. They look awesome so far. Is the boring bar you made improvised by you or was it spelled out to do it that way in the text? I like the whole idea of bootstrapping one build with using the prior builds to make the new parts. And casting all of your own parts is way cool too. Goood luck with the continuing project and please dont forget to snap pics of your process as you go. It is very interesting to an old geezer like me, who had to make parts for obsolete machines for too long.

Bob

Gadget,
I am looking forwaed to some more pics of the Gingery builds you are doing. They look awesome so far. Is the boring bar you made improvised by you or was it spelled out to do it that way in the text? I like the whole idea of bootstrapping one build with using the prior builds to make the new parts. And casting all of your own parts is way cool too. Goood luck with the continuing project and please dont forget to snap pics of your process as you go. It is very interesting to an old geezer like me, who had to make parts for obsolete machines for too long.

Bob

Bob, the boring bar was part of the plans. The machine is done, I will get some snapshots and maybe a video the next time I use it.

Back