• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

Homemade Way Covers ?

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Questions for those who made their own way covers. What material was used? I have some neoprene rubber and was considering using it but notice it will swell and pucker when oil gets on it . Was thinking about trying some vinyl ,like boat seat material. The type of covers I am thinking of coveer ways from column to back of table and another section covering from the front of table to front of machine.

Superburban

deleted, when I engaged my brain, I realized my error.

Last edited:

savarin

Active User
I used the leather from a thin leather skirt/dress from the salvos, cheap, doesnt swell, chips easily brush off the chromed side.

Uglydog

Active User
I've been using printer paper from work.
Best is from the recycling bin!
I toss it when its grimy.
I've got a bunch of scrap diamond plate aluminum I've been planning to bend.
Started using the paper, just haven't gotten around to bending....

Daryl
MN

TommyD

If you want it to compress as the carriage moves towards the chuck, try something like the accordian sliders on air conditioners that make up the space between the ac unit and window casement. A place I worked at had a real thick one that we used on the Southbend lathe we did our toolpost grinding in. We fixed it under the chuck and on the carriage to keep it functioning properly.

Ed ke6bnl

that looks a lot like mine does I have strong magnets holding it in place, I bought a set of the cheapest car mats new at the swapmeet because they were thin for $6 and there was enough for my mill and my boys lathe.

Ski

Active User
I used old treadmill belt material on the Bridgeport. Very tough stuff, seems to move well with the table, and it was free. Mike

CIMG0010_zps7d351cfd.jpg
How do the belts hold up to oil and coolant?

kvt

Active User
For small mills etc, Found something that works, Wife is missing some silicon baking mat, Got a whole role of it to cut custom size for backing sheets, Well heat resistant, Oil resistant, Flexible, Wide enough, Ok, what else could you ask for beside custom made, Problem, Bright Blue, Oh well she almost purchase a bright orange.

4gsr

HM Shop Superintendent
Staff member
For small mills etc, Found something that works, Wife is missing some silicon baking mat, Got a whole role of it to cut custom size for backing sheets, Well heat resistant, Oil resistant, Flexible, Wide enough, Ok, what else could you ask for beside custom made, Problem, Bright Blue, Oh well she almost purchase a bright orange.
Ken, I think I would dye that another color so the wife doesn't notice where it came from:eek 2:

kvt

Active User
Problem is I have not found anything that will stick to it properly. even the dye we use on metal just beads up.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
I've been using printer paper from work.
Best is from the recycling bin!
I toss it when its grimy.
I've got a bunch of scrap diamond plate aluminum I've been planning to bend.
Started using the paper, just haven't gotten around to bending....
Daryl
MN
great idea Daryl,
but there may be a slight danger of introducing aluminum oxide to the ways of your machine.
it's not a deal breaker , just something to consider
if the aluminum was anodized there would be little risk, (you could slip a piece of the paper between the aluminum and cast iron)

[6]
[5] [7]