Homemade Way Covers ?

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Questions for those who made their own way covers. What material was used? I have some neoprene rubber and was considering using it but notice it will swell and pucker when oil gets on it . Was thinking about trying some vinyl ,like boat seat material. The type of covers I am thinking of coveer ways from column to back of table and another section covering from the front of table to front of machine.

deleted, when I engaged my brain, I realized my error.

Last edited:
I used the leather from a thin leather skirt/dress from the salvos, cheap, doesnt swell, chips easily brush off the chromed side.

I've been using printer paper from work.
Best is from the recycling bin!
I toss it when its grimy.
I've got a bunch of scrap diamond plate aluminum I've been planning to bend.
Started using the paper, just haven't gotten around to bending....

Daryl
MN

If you want it to compress as the carriage moves towards the chuck, try something like the accordian sliders on air conditioners that make up the space between the ac unit and window casement. A place I worked at had a real thick one that we used on the Southbend lathe we did our toolpost grinding in. We fixed it under the chuck and on the carriage to keep it functioning properly.

that looks a lot like mine does I have strong magnets holding it in place, I bought a set of the cheapest car mats new at the swapmeet because they were thin for $6 and there was enough for my mill and my boys lathe.

I used old treadmill belt material on the Bridgeport. Very tough stuff, seems to move well with the table, and it was free. Mike

CIMG0010_zps7d351cfd.jpg
How do the belts hold up to oil and coolant?

Back