Home made pin punches

I cheated and made the punch pins from drill blanks and the shank from hot rolled steel. The end of the shank was drilled to accept the drill blank and the drill blank was fixed in place with a few drops of super glue. They have held up very well to some heavy use.
And when you were done, you had what was left of the punch pins to use for all kinds of other work in the shop. It is nice to have a set of accurate pins in any machine shop...

I have a handful of well-used Starrett pin punches that I could measure, but there's a problem with that. Pin punches are like drill bits, they get ground as needed to remove mushrooming at both ends and to get past chipping and damage, or are occasionally resized for a particular task. Now I wouldn't know what dimension other than body diameter remains original.

thanks for the ideas
any more would be greatl appreciated
I just use hardened dowell pins and press them in a larger shank, then I put them in the lathe or drill press and spin them. I use emery strips to reduce them so they are undersized. I have never broken any and they work perfectly. hardend dowells come in many lenghts and sizes. I have thousands of used dowel pins so there is no cost to make them. also they will not bend
Dave

Back