Home made pin punches

andrew butt

Registered
Registered
hi
i was looking for an cheapish set of pin punches when i realised that i could just make them out of some high carbon steel on the lathe and heat treat them
i was wondering if anyone who owns a set of starret or simmilar pin punches could measure the lengths and diameters i would need to make a good set of punches
at the end i want them to look something like this

Attachments

• pin punch.jpg
    pin punch.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 34
I cheated and made the punch pins from drill blanks and the shank from hot rolled steel. The end of the shank was drilled to accept the drill blank and the drill blank was fixed in place with a few drops of super glue. They have held up very well to some heavy use.

i would have expected for the pin to just fall out and crack the clue the first time you hit them

i would have expected for the pin to just fall out and crack the clue the first time you hit them

I have never had a pin fall out. I have broken a few pins over the years and I have to heat them to break the bond. I have been knwn to attack a 3/16" pin punch with a 3 lb. hammer. Super glue has a very high shear strength. As long as the pin is fully seated in the socket, it won't move

The picture isn't that great. The over all length is 8 inches . The length of the main body of the punch is 4 and 1\2 inches. The diameter of the main body is probably 1\2 inch . The turned part of the main body is .440. Hope this gives you enough to go on

Attachments

• 1629948080495-1184539054.jpg
    1629948080495-1184539054.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 31
I just make what I need at the instant I need it, then return to stock.

Great Idea!
I have a few that need new pins, the commercial ones break so easy.

Back